1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

good freeware rocording software?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by mullet0909, Aug 29, 2007.

1. mullet0909

mullet0909

Oct 24, 2006
    Louisiana
    does anyone know of any? money is kind of tight...I'M IN HIGH SCHOOL! lol. replies appreciated. :D

2. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    multi track studio

they have a free version that I used for a while til I bought the upgraded version

3. Audacity is great. Or try to find an old version of Cool Edit Pro 2.0 on Ebay.

4. BillySid

BillySid Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2005
    Weatherford, TX
  5. satchmo

satchmo

May 1, 2007
    Toronto
  6. fokof

fokof One day ,I'll be in the future

Mar 16, 2007
    Here
    Garage Band

7. ironflippy

ironflippy

Sep 18, 2006
    You can use reaper without limitations for as long as you'd like. But since the developer does such a damn good job with both the software and getting to bug fixes, you'll want to pay him the $40 for it. Buy it now while version 1 is out! You can upgrade to version 2 when it gets released for free (when it comes out, it will have a higher price tag). Plus, it's completely kickass software.

8. bluestarbass

bluestarbass

Jul 31, 2007
    Indianapolis
    Reaper is the ONLY freeware/very cheap ware that ive ever heard of a professional studio using, thats gotta count for something. Its a great program from what my limited use has gathered. I like audacity but it uses some sort of proprietary plugin format i beleive so that did me no good. Reaper supports VST which is my second favorite plugin format.

9. Tristan

Tristan

Jan 28, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    Reaper is definitely the correct answer.

10. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I was gonna say Garage Band as it's served me extrordinarily well over the years, but looking at Reaper, I'd say try that out. Especially if you're on a PC. And then get an M-Audio I/O box. I haven't looked at recent models, but the Mobile Pre-USB worked great for me before I got my Firewire Edirol.