Good Handheld Recorder for pizzicato Double Bass

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by aidan_111, Aug 21, 2017.

1. aidan_111

aidan_111

Oct 18, 2015
    I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion or experience on what type of handheld recorder they use for recording themselves during practice.
    It doesn't have to be professional level just enough so I can hear phrasing issues and more subtle things.
    Thanks

2. rickwolff

rickwolff Supporting Member

I expect any of the Zoom products would work just fine.

I have the H6 which would be incredible overkill for the use you describe. However, if you ever wanted to record a gig it is incredibly useful. It has 2 (XY) condensor mics on the recorder - which by the way sound INCREDIBLE - plus you have 4 additional inputs - combo 1/4 inch and XLR. It's like a recording studio in the palm of your hand.

For something a lot simpler AND less expensive you could check this out: Zoom H1 Handy Recorder

The onboard mics appear to be the same, and, I imagine the electronics are the same also. I think having the stereo recording would be much nicer that just mono. And the sound quality (on mine, at least) is stellar.

Leo Smith and Chris Fitzgerald like this.
  3. Xanderzb

Xanderzb

Dec 29, 2014
    Cascadia
    iPhone 7 has been sufficient for capturing and communicating ideas; but it does *not* work well at all for playback without headphones or external speakers.

A few years ago, I had surprisingly good results from a little white Olympus Voice Recorder. The playback from this little device was actually a lot better for bass frequencies than the iPhone.

Not much I'm afraid, but I hope you find what you're looking for!

Leo Smith likes this.
  4. BobKay

BobKay Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2012
    Estero, Florida; USA
  5. For checking your playing almost any smartphone or tablet works, the low frequencies may be attenuated a bit and there might be some emphasis on frequencies to make speech better understandable, but for checking your playing it is good enough. The problem is the playback, not the recording.
    Digital music recorders work well too, but you don't really need them (but they are nice to record a performance).

Even my old iPhone 3GS does the job until the battery has drained...

6. Adam Booker

Adam Booker Supporting Member

May 3, 2007
    Boone, NC
    Endorsing Artist: D'Addario Strings, Remic Microphones
    Zoom all the way.

Leo Smith likes this.
  7. Michael Eisenman

Michael Eisenman Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Eugene, Oregon
    Zoom iQ7 microphone plugs into iPhone and makes great recordings.

8. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I've been interested in the iQ6 and iQ7, but am guessing that you would have to take even a slim line case off to use them. Is that your experience?

9. Jay Corwin

Jay Corwin Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    I use a Tascam DR05. It's probably more/less the same as the zoom. The standard recording mode with the built-in mini condensers works great for quick and easy recording of your practice.

I'll sometimes set up a condenser or two in my practice room, run them through a preamp, then into the Tascam. Sounds as good as anything recorded to MP3 at that point. It's an easy way to do live recordings that are passable by today's recording standards. I've done the same when performing mic only gigs, running a post signal out of the PA directly the handheld.

Tascam or Zoom $100'ish models.

https://www.amazon.com/TASCAM-DR-05-Portable-Digital-Recorder/dp/B004OU2IQG

10. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Augusta GA
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    All the live audio I've posted around here has been done with a Zoom H1. Stupidly easy to operate, turn it on and press RECORD.

vin*tone and 60bass like this.
  11. Michael Eisenman

Jun 21, 2006
    Eugene, Oregon
    Not in my case, since my cases have large openings in the Lightning-port area. Zoom advertise that the mic—the iQ7, anyway—is designed for use with cases; the mic comes with a removable spacer for that contingency.

Chris Fitzgerald likes this.
  12. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Very cool! Just curious, what app do you use for audio on the iPhone? I just got an iPhone 7 for video and am looking for accessories for it. Would eb great if it could replace my aging Edirol unit for audio as well.

13. Michael Eisenman

Jun 21, 2006
    Eugene, Oregon
    The free Handy Recorder app is quite usable, and the iQ7 can be used by video apps, such as Filmic Pro and the built-in Camera app (video setting). I don't know about others, as I don't really do video. Here is what the Zoom iQ7 page says:
    "The iQ7 is compatible with most iOS apps that support input from an external microphone, including Apple's Voice Memo and Garageband, as well as other popular music recording, voice recognition, and streaming apps. Apps that provide support for multiple sampling rates—such as Handy Recorder—work great too, allowing you to choose between 44.1 and 48kHz recording for optimum audio quality."

HTH

14. I've used a Zoom H4n for years. Recently died on me, but I'm going out to get another.
    The mics/pres are not the absolute best. But for the price they are great.
    Also, if you want to get whacky you can take a piezo transducer into it. Though you'd probably want to route it through a DI box like a Radial or Countryman.

Leo Smith likes this.
  15. Hey there. I have been using the the Roland R-05 for a decade and it is quite amazing. A little more expensive, but great sound, far better than the ZOOM stuff, in my opinion. iPhone is OK in a pinch but definitely compromises the sound. Hope that helps!

16. GZboat

GZboat

Feb 16, 2017
    The Zoom H2n has features you might find very useful. It has an accessory remote control that the H1 and older H2 lack. I have a H2 and bought a H2n for a friend. The remote makes the the H2n quite a bit more user friendly. Once you have the physical relationship between you, the instrument, and the recorder established, you don't need to touch the recorder again. It's a good thing. Also, the H2n has multiple pickup patterns so you can find a useful pattern for solos or small groups. It's a lot of bang for the buck and the recording quality is excellent.
    Greg

17. I'm curious how you find the R5 better? I'm in the market for a new field recorder, and while I'm partial to the Zoom stuff, I'm open to trying something different.

18. jlmorgan84

jlmorgan84 Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2014
    Clemson, SC
    I do some field recording just as another hobby. I've mostly used the Tascam recorders (DR-05, DR-40), and recently upgraded to the new DR-100mkIII. It's overkill for recording practice sessions, I mostly use it with a stereo pair to record concerts and live shows, but it sounds fantastic. The preamps are very good with little to no noise, and most importantly for me the battery lasts a long time, and it has two AA batteries for backup, so you can swap them out while the recorder is running if you need more time. On a lot of our gigs I just get a stereo feed from the mixer, press record and then just leave it running.

19. lstelie

lstelie

Nov 27, 2008
    Paris France
    Hello,

I have a Tascam DR05 its quite cheap, very convenient, small, and works like a charm with a good sound (Zoom has similar offer)

20. threetone

threetone

Sep 27, 2011
    Europe
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021