good small combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Yvon, Sep 18, 2004.

1. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I'm looking for a small combo for home praticing.
    a 1X10 should be enough!
    What are my option?
    I don't want to pay too much but at the same time I want something that sound good. I remember that the Galien Kruger used to be a "standard"...

Any other option?
  2. waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    SWR Workingman's 10. It sounds nice and it is portable. Find one used and get the extension cabinet if you need more volume. This will get you 100 watts. I tried amps with less power and I was always cranking them to get more volume. They would fart out and distort. The Fender Bassman 60 is also a nice little amp.
  3. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Lot of Yorkville fans on the forum! I'm using their 2 X 10 combo as a practice / backup amp.

4. The Yorkville XM50 is a GREAT little practice amp that can do a little more...50 watts, 1x10 combo, very small and lightweight (only 26lbs!) and has an XLR output when you need it...
  5. RunngDog

RunngDog Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    The GK MB 150 is definitely not cheap, but it's very practical. Small enough to use as a practice amp (weighs 24 lbs) but packs 150 watts, which is enough for most small venues.
  6. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Fender Bassman 25.
  7. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
  8. Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Yorkville stuff sounds great IMO. I'd like to have a small low watt combo with which I could practice electric and do small upright gigs...and the XM50 looks nice. (I used to have a Peavey Microbass that would cut small trio gigs fine!)

That said, $300.00 new is kind of pricey.

9. Stumpy6653

Sep 12, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    I have had the redhead and am now playing through the eden metro. Love the metro. My bass teacher had the CXC110 combo from eden. That thing kicked butt. It is pricey though.

at the school I sit in at they have a GK kickback (monitor) amp combo that sounds really great. I think that they are 400 new, but you should be able to find it for half that "semi" used.

10. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I've got a pair of Ashdown 1x12 MAG series combos that rock for home, small gigs, recording. I got both for under $400 each. The Electric Blue are built on similar preamps and have gotten good reviews.... as has the "little" Ashdowns (after eight, perfect ten and five fifteen).

I also own a Peavey Microbass.... I've even done a radio broadcast performance with it (played with my singer & his acoustic). It does nicely with 5 string and a couple acoustics.
  11. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    I have an Ashdown Perfect Ten. It's a nice practice amp. It's pretty loud for 30W and has really smooth, clean tone with an even response across the strings at moderate volume settings. I leave it at my G/F's apartment for when she doesn't want to look at me anymore and I head off into a corner with my bass for some low volume practice... Actually, it doesn't get used a heck of a lot. :smug:

If I didn't get this I would have gone for a used Trace combo of some sort, an SWR WM 110, or a Peavey Micro or Minx. The Perfect Ten cost less than most of them. ;)
  12. fresnorich

Sep 17, 2003
    Fresno, CA
    ampeg B-50R

12" speaker (50 watts)

classic, vintage sound and look

very sturdy constuction

winner of BP's "Best Tone" award
  13. DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas

+1 :)
  14. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i would look into spending a bit extra and getting a 112 combo - may serve you better down the road
    aside from the excellent combos listed here lemm add the swr workingmans 12 - great combo
  15. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    I use my MB150-S for small gigs. Sounds great but as Runngdog states, it's not cheap. If I were getting an amp for practice ONLY I'd find an old Fender BXR 25 or get one of those small Peavey Micro amps.
  16. Tames

Dec 31, 2002
    Decatur, IL, USA
    SWR Baby Baby Blue. OKAY I know it's not technically a practice amp but it would be one hell of a paractice amp. 120watts at 8Ohms... then you can add an extension cab and have 160 watts... wow..I want one as a "practice" amp... while I practice recording using that nice ass preamp.
  17. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Peavey Microbass.
  18. bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    I will second the Fender Bassman 25. I have the Roland Cube 30 which is also a nice practice amp with some fun features. Both are under $300 new.
  19. Peavey Microbass, no doubt. That amp packs a punch! And it's built like a tank!! I've gotten over full drum kits in concrete basements with this thing on 7!
  20. philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    Roland is coming out with a Bass Cube 100. I'm keenly interested in that one and the SWR WM12 will likely get traded on it, if it is half as good as the Cube 30.