1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good starting bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by malunirvanafree, Sep 4, 2008.

1. malunirvanafree

malunirvanafree

Sep 30, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Ok, here i go, I have never played Double bass but i want to but i have no clue what brand i should get or if there is anything i should watch out for. Could you please help me by giving me some pointers. all help is appreciated.

Thanks
    Malunirvanafree

2. There are a million discussions here about this; try the stickies and the search function.

One thing to keep in mind; IMO it is always better to have a crap bass with a good setup than the other way around. Oh, and find a qualified teacher before you either hurt yourself or pick up a lot of bad habits. Try your local university.

3. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    IMO, it is NEVER a good idea to have a crap bass, regardless of the setup. Sure, a decent bass with a good setup is more playable than a fine bass with an awful setup. These discussions have been had over and over here. The truth is that it is a false choice. One can always have a fine setup done on any bass that is not "crap."

Yes, the setup is of paramount importance and is often overlooked by newbies. In terms of purchasing, IMO one should shoot for the best instrument (within reason) he/she can afford. If it comes with a great setup included, then all the better. If not, then budget for having one done. By all means, stay away from CCBs (Cheap Chinese Basses) and the infamous "eBay specials." Those are the quintessential "crap basses."

...and yes, follow toman's advice and get a teacher.

4. jgbass

jgbass Guest

Dec 17, 2003
    I just checked the stickies in this section. What a wealth of good, solid information, especialy for beginners, and the rest of us. Nicely organized!

5. Well, I didn't mean a really crappy bass, just to say that as long as it stays together and gets the job done... :D

6. jonesbass3

jonesbass3

Feb 10, 2008
    Steve Koscica of the String Emporium in Chandler AZ set up a plywood Thompson (under $2000) for one of my students recently.

It was such a nice job I ordered one for my teenage son.

I also purchased a Wan Bernadel from Steve and am extemely happy to use this bass on 90% of my gigs.

He'll ship anywhere.....great to deal with....