Gordon playing a Rick Turner?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Muzique Fann, Feb 13, 2005.

1. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    I saw a picture of Mike with the Duo from 2/10 and it looks like he's playing a 4 string Rick Turner of some sort? Pretty ugly, but I bet they sound great - I'm waiting for somebody to post the torrent of this show so I can hear it. Here's the link - look about 6 rows down...

duder uses a boat load of effects on the keys.
  2. Rick Turner

Rick Turner

Jul 14, 2004
    Mike's had one of my basses for quite some time now. Yes, that's an RB-4-FL there.
  3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Nothing says "doh!" better than when a person comments in passing that a bass is ugly, then the maker is the one who pops up next.

Put a smile on my face. :smug:
  4. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    I would sure like to get my hands on one of those ugly basses! LOL

Great looking bass Rick.
  5. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Sorry guys, that's just like...my...opinion...man. I just call em how I see em - that body style just doesn't do it for me. I'm sure Mr. Turner is doing just fine with those basses and isn't going to stop the press based on what little old me thinks - no offense. It's the sound of the bass that matters anyway. Thanks for the info - It's nice to see Mike doing different stuff.
  6. I just saw that Mike is playing with "the Duo" the 2nd weekend of the New Orleans Jazzfest at a late night show (2 a.m. on a Sunday morning). Trey plays the night before at the actual festival. I bet he may sit in a few songs. I'll probably go check this out if I can make myself stay out that long. I might just get to hear that bass.
  7. Rick Turner

Rick Turner

Jul 14, 2004
    Frankly, I don't care if some folks think my instruments are ugly. There are plenty of musicians who like them, buy them, and play them. I don't go chasing after everyone's aesthetic. I think a lot of instruments on the market are ugly, but I tend to keep such opinions to myself. I work with some of the folks who build those instruments; I may wind up making pickups or electronics for more of them. No sense cutting off my nose to spite my face!
  8. grego

Feb 15, 2005
    That was the first time I've seen Mike play his RB-4-FL. I'm not a bass player, so I can't get into the technical aspects, but it sounded great and Mike gave the guitar a nice work out! -Grego
    ps. those are my pictures from that night.
  9. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    As a former Turner Ren owner and a current Turner Electroline fretless 5 owner my feelings are that Rick (in addition to being on my Mount Rushmore of Lutherie) has a great sense of design. The word that comes to my mind is "italianate", with the harmony of curves and the way the visual weight is distributed. Great stuff. Opinions about the aesthetic are fine in either direction since that is how the world works, nothing works for everyone.

Aside from the looks, my Ren had a freakish amount of sustain, tonal response to technique that surpasses any bass I have ever played, and it held up in everything from acoustic folk sets to very loud power rock. I'll own one again, but my other Turner is doing just fine by me so far.

Aside from owning his instruments, both bought used, I've talked to Rick on the phone and by email and he has proven to be a great luthier to deal with, but I have nothing to gain from chiming in here other than knowing that I spoke my mind.