Gospel Bassists & Music???

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Sep 20, 2005.

1. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

my friend Buff has been trying to get me into more his gospel style, and DANNGNABBIT, i wanna cop that style for my own!

there's little foresight into why half if not most R&B, hiphop acts use gents with a gospel background, and i wanna be right in there!

so any albums y'all recommend? been fed a healthy dose of Kim Burrell, Fred Hammond, and yes, Kirk Franklin, but anything else you guys can hip me to?
  2. KBase

Jan 30, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    Try and get your hands on a lot of Chicago artist based gospel. Chicago gospel has its own style and feel and I am sure u will find it helpful in creating your own style. Also a lot of popular bassists are out of this town!!
  3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I've mentioned her before, but check out Debra Killings, some say she sounds like Fred Hammonds, but that ain't bad either! :D
  4. I second that... :D
  5. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Actually I think Israel Houghton is the lead singer / guitarist of Israel and the New Breed. On the CDs and DVDs I have of them, Terrance Palmer is the bassist. Terrance also has done a lot of stuff with Fred Hammond.

Don't forget Andre' Gouche.

6. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    that's it?

cmon guys, where my gospel hommies at?
  7. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Dude, there's so many great gospel bassists out there it's hard to name them all. Just about any Gospel Artist has a great bassist working for them!

Here's a few names.

Joel Smith
    Abraham Laboriel
    Reggie Young
    Fred Hammond
    Reggie Parker
    Kevin Stancil
    Steve Huff
    DeAndre Thomas,
    Tony Russell
    Chuck Smith
    Freddy Washington
    Jerry Williams
    Weldon Gite
    Andrew Gouché
    Maurice Fitzgerald
  8. Don't forget Norm Stockton.

Seriously, +1 to Abe Laboriel.
  9. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    +1 billion

He's baaaaaaaaaaaaaad!
  10. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    + 1 for Debra Killings, also I really like Tommy Sims playing and production work.
  11. Abraham Laboriel will melt your face...oh..wrong genre. He'll inspire you to thump:-D
  12. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    Any of his albums.... he has the BADDEST Bass Players...

And there was a cat named Sam Scott Jr..... used to play for the Mississippi Mass Choir. A couple of songs that come to mind are Hold On Old Soldier and It Remains To Be Seen, & I Get Excited. You cop those lines, and I'll be your groupie....;)

Oh.... another artist is Joh P.Kee. Maurice Fitzgerald got his start with him (I think....) his music is SICK and the bass players he gets to hold down the bottom make you wanna get to know Jesus....
  13. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

thx deedub,

but i'm lookin' for music, CD's, etc. still, i guess these are the guys to watch out for. ;)
  14. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Joel Smith - Edwin Hawkins Singers, Edwin Hawkins

Reggie Young - Bishop Eric McDaniel & The Lords Church

Fred Hammond - Witness, Winans, Commissioned, John P. Kee, Carmen

Reggie Parker - Hezekiah Walker, Yolanda Adams

Kevin Stancil - Hezekiah Walker, Tramaine, Praise Mass Choir

Steve Huff - Doug & Melvin Williams, KeKe Wyatt, Mary Mary

Andrew Gouché - Vicki Winans, Winans, Daryl Coley, NJ Mass Choir, LA Mass Choir, BeBe & CeCe Winans, Kurt Carr Singers, Donnie McClurkin

Maurice Fitzgerald - Yolanda Adams, Kurt Carr, Donnie McClurkin, Micah Stampley, TD Jakes

Hope this helps a bit. You can also get the WOW Gospel series of double cd's and find some killer stuff on those!
  15. gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    I second Israel Houghton, and I'm glad Mario mentioned John P. Kee -- joker, you've got to check out an album of his called Not Guilty. It's a 2-CD set full of great stuff but especially track 2 on disc 1, "Right Here." Awsome song. . . and track 8 on disc 2, I think it's called "Rain On Us." Oh man, that song is amazing and the bassist and drummer are amazing. I love John P. Kee's stuff, all of it. Also check out a guy named Donnie McClurkin. **Oops, didn't notice that DW already mentioned Donnie :oops:

16. BassFelt

Mar 26, 2002
    If one wanted to pick up one album with Andrew Gouché, which one would be the most interesting from a bassists' perspective?
  17. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I would say Kurt Carr. Just check out Allmusic.com and check the album credits to make sure he's on that particular one you pick. Here's a good starting point to his credits. Just pick from there.

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    OK, don't forget to check out the following artists:

Joe Pace and Colorado Mass Choir
    Martha Munizzi
    Dettrick Haddon
    Tye Tribbett
    CeCe Winans (actually, anything from the Winans)
    Donnie McClurkin
    Marvin Sapp
    The Gospel Music Workshop of America Mass choir
    Trinitee 3-5-7
    Hezikiah Walker
    Gospel Gangstas
    Kim Burrell
    Keira Sheard
    Karen Clark-Sheard
    Natalie Wilson and the SOP Chorale

(I could go on and on)

Some of the bassists that play for these guys have been mentioned, but there are several who are relatively unknown, but can throw down w/ the best of them.
  19. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Keith Taylor is another cat who can throw down. He played on Kirk Franklin's 'Rebirth Of Kirk Franklin' cd! Nothing flashy on this but some solid groove playing!