Got sniped.....

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ElephantTalk, Jan 7, 2006.

1. ElephantTalk

Jan 20, 2005
    I had finally found an Akai Unibass on the 'bay and I got sniped!!!!
    Man I hate those guys. :spit:

Someday my friends, someday.........I will be the sniper. ;)

2. ElephantTalk

Jan 20, 2005
    Man, they've got a service for everything.

**Um, I'd like someone to bring me a bourbon on the rocks, make me some nachos and snipe some bass gear. Please**
  3. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    You can't get sniped unless you let yourself get sniped. You obviously didn't want it enough IMO.

If your like "Oh, I would have went $10 more" then up your bid by $10 more to begin with. If you are still outbid, then you obviously weren't willing to pay that much anyways.

Sniping software only helps those that are trying to get the best deal. If you really want it, put the absolute maximum $$$ you are willing to spend and live with the outcome.

I love the free enterprise system of Ebay where... he who is willing to spend the most, wins! :D
  4. ElephantTalk

Jan 20, 2005
    It is a pretty cool system. I wonder where it'll go in the next 10 years.
  5. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA

You've got the highest bid for some time, you think you've got the auction down, so why pay more money? It's a pointless waste to do so.

If ya get sniped, too bad, but it doesn't mean at all you don't want it enough... :ninja:

6. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    OK, maybe it doesn't mean you don't want it enough but it does mean you are not willing to pay what it takes to get it!

Do you know how Ebay works? :confused:

You do know that Ebay will automatically bid for you up to the set amount your willing to spend don't you? If you put in one single bid of $10 and you were out bid by a $1 but you were willing to go $15, you should have entered $15 to begin with. It doesn't just up the auction to $15. It will only up it by one step past the current bid. If someone trys to "snipe" you at the last second with $11, Ebay will automatically bid $12 for you and you win. Your not spending any more money than it takes to win. Period.

Case and point. When I bid on my Trace Elliot 1524 cab it had a few bids and was at $152.50. Well, I knew I was willing to pay $500 for it and thats what I entered to start. By me putting in $500 it only went up to $155.00, not $500. Do you see what I'm saying? BTW, I ended up paying only $350!!! :D

It really is that simple.
  7. Sorry to hear about the auction ElephantTalk. I've got some tips that may help you win your next auction though.

I agree with what some of you guys are saying that you really should be bidding your maximum amount to begin with, and that way you know you've put in your best bid and will have no regrets if you are outbid.

I first started buying stuff off Ebay a couple of years ago, and those damn snipers really got me in the beginning. It's easy to set yourself a max bid for an item a week before auction end, but if another bidder wins the item for your max bid plus 50cents, that can be annoying, especially in the heat of the final minutes of the auction. It's also easy to accept a lost auction if the final bid was a significant amount more than your max bid, but say if it's something like 50cents more, if you had known you would've definitely shelled out another 50cents or a dollar to win that item.

But, sniping works for different reasons when you're up against inexperienced bidders, or when you're wanting to win the item for the best possible price far below the actual maximum you would've been willing to pay for it. Some points:

1) Look at the bidding history of the item and you'll be able to see what kind of bidders you're up against. If they are inexperienced bidders they'll be raising their max bid in small increments against each other for a whole week before the end of the auction.

2) If you were to insert your max bid right into the middle of this little bidding war, you'll raise the stakes and inform the other bidders where you stand with your max bid and chances are that will bring the bidding war straight up to your level immediately. It's a bit like poker - you're potentially revealing your hand before the final call, you're giving away the element of surprise and the upper hand.

3) If you waited till the last minute to insert your max bid, you will catch them while they are still 'incrementing' their bids and not give them time to meet your max bid. They will not even know what your max bid is and would be too busy raising their max bid in incremental steps by which time the auction would've ended.

4) Sure, you could enter your max bid a whole week before end of auction but that will also give other bidders a taste of what they're up against and also give them time to gather their resources and think about whether they are willing to outbid your amount.

5) There may several snipers gunning for the item at the last possible second and you may still be outbid if there is someone out there willing to pay a whole lot more for the item, but in a situation like that if you've entered your max bid there will hopefully be no regrets if you've used good bidding strategy. Besides, even if you feel "could've" raised your max bid by another couple of dollars as a last ditch effort, there should be no regrets since there was no time left to raise it anyway.

6) I've won a couple of items on Ebay against other bidders and snipers this way and got the item for far less than my max bid. 2cents. Take it how you will, I offer it as advice to improve your auction/bidding strategy.

- RiseOfTheWooten.

PS. ElephantTalk - no I wasn't the sniper that outbid you for that item!

8. That's another good way to look at it. Sometimes by entering a large maximum bid from the outset, it discourages other inexperienced bidders from bidding any further when they keep coming up against "you've been outbid!" notice everytime they incrementally raise their max bid. From that point on, it's all experienced/serious bidders only.
  9. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    CTO @ Two notes Audio Engineering
    Ebay is war. I... just like it ! :D

I think there are different ways to do. In some case this one is better, in this other case, this other way is better. It all depends on who you have in front of you.
  10. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    RiseOfTheWooten described it exactly. The only reason sniping works is that there are lots of inexperienced (confused?) ebayers who bid incrementally instead of just placing their max bid or using a sniping service.

I use a sniping service. It's cheap, and all I do is enter an auction # I want, enter my best price (research helps here), and then forget about it. It places my max bid in the last 6 seconds and if I don't win it simply means somebody was willing to pay more than I was. Simple!