1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

got to play a real bassman today

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by brenner182, Mar 16, 2013.

1. brenner182

brenner182

Apr 24, 2010
    Maryland
    I just have to say, i am completely blown away at the moment.

I got to play a silverface fender bassman 10 combo today. 50 watts and just Gnarly as all hell.

Long story short, found a ad on craigslist where a band needed a fill in bass player for one show. Go to the first practice and they said just bring my bass (Peavey Axcelerator 5 for this occasion)

I have GAS so bad right now. Like, the mid punch of that thing blew me away. When i would go down to my low d or open B it left room for improvement, But good lord.

I'm ready to just sell everything and get one haha. If i could figure out how to get that tone from my Fender TBP-1 i would never buy another amp ever again.

Just wanted to share that with you guys, All input would be awesome. Manily if you have any tips on the fender TBP-1. I run it with a crown xls drivecore 1500. And my cabs very from two Earcandy Bassbomb 2x12's to the newer Fender Bassman Line of the 410 and 115 combo.

2. brenner182

brenner182

Apr 24, 2010
    Maryland
    also, cant forget the one quick pic i snapped.

Attached Files:

3. rbuist

rbuist

Jul 29, 2012
    Saw a band a few weeks back where the guitar player used one as his main amp and it sounded rad- he also unplugged and used it to play keys/organ out of and the natural tube distortion sounded awesome.

If money weren't an issue...

4. brenner182

brenner182

Apr 24, 2010
    Maryland
    they are not too expensive i guess. there are a couple floating around on craigslist in the 500 dollar range.

5. kbakerde

kbakerde Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Delaware
    Those silver faced Bassman amps are slowly gaining popularity here on the TB. I know just what you mean though, iplayed one at a local store and it was amazing. It was so awesome, I had to pick up my Bassman 135 when I had the chance.

6. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    Was it Alvin Youngblood Hart? He uses these and modifies the preamp to be like a Tweed Bassman.

7. Arnie

Arnie

May 14, 2005
    Kingston, NY
  8. I got one of these from Santa in 1974 or 75 IIRC. I've never done anything to the amp except play it. Original tubes and all, although I think I'm gonna have to do a recap fairly soon.

I don't think the SF has reached legendary status yet so they can still be purchased reasonably. There is one floating around nearby on CL for $425 I think. To me that seems to be the right general price range - $650 just seems a little on the high side. There are a bunch of these floating around so I don't think the price is going to get out of whack anytime soon.

They have a very good tone at low(er) volumes. The 50 tube watts gets pretty loud but the cabinet just doesn't keep up very well. I've been thinking of pulling the head out of mine, building a head case for it and pairing it with a better cabinet - maybe a Fearful.

One of the biggest problems is they're tall and skinny - especially on casters. Easy to tip over if you aren't paying attention.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ya, the cabs were the big sticking point with the Bassmans. Although they break up a little early on bass for my tastes, the heads are way cool...just that Fender always paired them with cabs that can't hang.

10. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    I agree with Jimmy. The 2x12 Bassman cabinet was terrible. I owned the amp and cabinet brand new and returned it after one weekend. I also owned a Bassman amp which I ran through a 4x12 Marshal and that worked quite well.

11. I_LIEK_BASE

I_LIEK_BASE

Feb 6, 2013
    Milwaukee
    Had one of these a few years ago. Best amp I've ever owned. Unfortunately the wood holding the speakers in was rotting and it just didn't get loud enough for me to keep, so I sold it. I know a lot of guitar players who just LOVE these.

12. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    agreed 100%. But if you can get these bassman amps pushing a few good high efficient boxes with decent JBL or EV drivers (TL606, BagEnd, Mesa Diesel, etc.) they can really charm the pants off of you. Great sound for bass IMO/IME.

13. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    IMHO a sansamp BDDI gets closer to that tone than it does to the SVT tone. Put it in front of any good clean loud amp and you are good to go.

14. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    It it a sealed cab? If so, you should be able to put a set of Legends in it and let it eat. Sure, the cab isn't optimal, but with some good drivers in it you should be able to open it up and increase the range a bit. If the Legends aren't the best option, I feel pretty confident there's some other driver that will go along with the math on the cab. Maybe Jimmy or someone else will tell me how I am probably oversimplifying it. I certainly could be.