1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

gotoh gb528 machine heads on greco p-bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by margus_, May 31, 2017.

1. margus_

margus_

May 19, 2008
    I have a 1981 greco supersound precision bass and it is quite neck heavy. I would like to install gotoh resolite gb528 tuner on this bass but I`m not sure...

My bass headstock has holes about 17..18 mm, but gb528 bushings are 16 mm. Can I still use this tuners? Maybe I could put some tape around bushings, if it does not affect the sound in bad way?

Or would you suggest gotoh resolite gb640 over gb528? gb640 bushing should be perfect match to my headstock holes, but I still think that I would prefere gb528 because they are ligther. The screw holes don't match anyway. If I choose gb640, then I should drill new screw holes very near to old ones and I am afraid that will be a mess. And I want keep possibility to reinstall the old ones if needed.

Has anyone experience on this topic?

2. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    You are on the Double Bass side.

3. margus_

margus_

May 19, 2008
    thanks, I started new thread on the bass guitar side. sorry for the mess

4. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Halethorpe, MD
    The Schaller M4S light has a 16.8 mm bushing. They are heavier at 71 grams. Instead of screws on the rear there are alignment pins just about where you screws would go. That 12 gram difference could be the size of the bushing and the alignment pins.
    TZ M4S Light.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017