1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Grace VanderWaal-Did you catch her?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Stinsok, Sep 15, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    12 year old winner of America's Got Talent. She wrote her own songs (you wouldn't think a kid wrote them.) She has a unique voice. I think she could be another Alanis Morissette. At 12, I didn't know which way was up!

RedLefty, nixdad and FilterFunk like this.
  2. Tbone76

Tbone76

Aug 24, 2013
    Upstate, NY
    Hph

3. offhand35

offhand35 Supporting Member

Hph?

Stinsok likes this.
  4. Tbone76

Tbone76

Aug 24, 2013
    Upstate, NY
    I somehow posted that while I was asleep. Weird.

On-topic, I'll check out the video!

organworthyplayer337 likes this.
  5. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    I thought it was awful. There were so many other fantastic acts that should have won.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  6. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    I'm confused. Is that supposed to be a good thing?

7. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE!

Mar 31, 2010
    Her voice sounded strained on last night's show; it usually clearer than that. I'm not that big on the quirky vocals, but it works for her and her songs, IMO.

It's the songs that set her apart. I think they will resonate with a lot of people, and the lyrics and music are well beyond her years. If she can continue to write like that, and get even better, she'll have a long, substantial career and won't have to worry about keeping up with the latest musical trends. She'll always have an audience.

Oddly and Stinsok like this.
  8. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Seems like The Clairvoyants would have known they wouldn't win.

9. her voice cracked every 2nd line, but she'll go far to be sure

10. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    I can't see people paying to see her at a show in Las Vegas and that is part of winning America's Got Talent. They are looking for somebody who can sell tickets for a show.

11. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    Nah, that's part of the prize. They're looking for TV ratings. Even the prize money is paid out over twenty years.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  12. maybe her and Edie can do a joint venture with Steve Martin

13. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    As far as music acts go on the show, these were in the finals.

14. edencab

edencab

Aug 14, 2013
    Toronto, On
    Sal Valentinetti had tons o' talent and personality IMHO......

The BurgerMeister and MTFD24 like this.
  15. Callused Finger

Callused Finger

Feb 22, 2007
    New York
    She was amazing, every time and I knew she would win.
    If she didn't sound amazing to you then you just don't get it, which is completely understandable.

I get her unique style... and at just 12 years old it's amazing she has any style at all.

16. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Sorry. My post repeated.

17. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    If those were all of the finalists, that show is rigged. The little girl was BY FAR the WORST of that bunch.

matante likes this.
  18. RedLefty

RedLefty

Jan 19, 2016
    Texas
    She was my favorite, from the first time I heard her. Her voice works very well for her and her erratic tempo changes are perfect. I didn't know she was so popular until they said so.

She did seem to sound more wobbly last night though.

FilterFunk likes this.
  19. RedLefty

RedLefty

Jan 19, 2016
    Texas
    Grace: my favorite, not the best for vegas but I would have given all my votes if I voted.

Sal: good command of the stage, great voice. I personally didn't connect. Probably the best for Vegas though

Crumb: Destroyed it with Creep the first time, seemed like he was chasing that one performance afterward.

Laura: The first two times there was a child opera singer it was awesome, getting old now.

Lincin: Awesome, but not tooo awesome.

The sob stories that AGT keeps ramming down our throat are getting numb and almost annoying.

20. I watched a few episodes with my wife & 4th grade daughter. That little girl impressed me more than any of the other acts. Supposedly writes her own songs as well, amazing for someone her age. I didn't see her perform last night, but heard her voice crack in other performances, seemed to be part of the style & I thought she pulled it off well.

StraffordMike and 1stnamebassist like this.