1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gradual replacement

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Hairy, Feb 27, 2004.

1. Hairy

Hairy

Feb 27, 2004
    I've finally hit on the idea that my (cheapish plywood) bass might sound better if I got new strings (probably Obligatos) to replace the ones that probably weren't new when I got her ten years ago.

As a starving student, I was thinking of upgrading one at a time, as I have the spare cash, but this raises the question of where to start... I'd be tempted to get a D or an A to get nice mid range for playing jazz and folk, but would this leave me with issues for orchestral playing if the tone varies a lot over the range of the instrument? Would it be better to start with a G?

Sorry if this is a slightly obsessive question, but I'd rather not spend a couple of months getting confused by a comical sounding bass.

2. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    Hold out for a full set. Yeah, I remember the starving days, too, when I wondered how the hell I'd possibly pay for a Golden Spiral D&G. But in the long run, you'll be better off -- you'll have an all-new set, equal amount of time on each string, and you'll save money if you intend to buy online; it'll probably cost you around $5 per string to ship, so you're looking at $20 just to get the singles to you over time.