1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Graham Maby

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Commreman, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    I was listening to old Kng Biscut Hour concerts last night in the Wolfgang's Vault website, and came across this:

http://concerts.wolfgangsvault.com/dt/joe-jackson-concert/20052279-3420.html

This is the Joe Jackson band live from the Palladium in NYC in 1979. Graham Maby has always been one of my favorite "pop/punk" bassists from that era, along with Bruce Thomas. In this concert, Graham is just killin' it! Give a listen! :hyper:

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Nice! Thanks for the link!

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I actually like Graham better than Bruce Thomas. I like them both a lot, but I always thought Graham was a more learned player. There's nothing he can't do. Light jazz, reggae/dub, rock, swing, experimental...wherever Joe went, Graham was right there. Still is, too.

4. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    I like them both. I agree that Graham Maby could cover a lot more ground stylistically, i.e. pop, rock, hard core swing (listen to Joe Jackson's Jumpin' Jive). Also, Graham was more versatile in that he was comfortable and fluid whether he was playing with a pick or his fingers (the concert that I linked to has him playing pickstyle). Both players were very melodic. I thought that Bruce Thomas was the perfect foil for Elvis Costello, and the tension between the two of them really drove the "attitude" of that band. In Graham Maby's case, I read somewhere that the band would actually get out of his way sonically so he could do his thing. Both players were a big influence on me, and I'm still blown away when I listen to them today.

5. "Got the time" and "Is She Really Going out With Him" are two of my favorite bass lines of all time. "I Don't want to Go to Chelsea" is right there with them. I can't think of two bassists I enjoy more than Maby and Thomas.

6. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    Graham Maby is one kickass bassist alright, very versatile, passionate and compliments Joe Jackson's music perfectly!

All time favorite GM bass line: "Sunday Papers"

7. I will agree...no contest...but I still LOVE BT's lines on Costello's "Watching the Detectives"

8. both Maby & Thomas are great musicians- I get the impression that their inspiration for their basslines and note choices + phrasing comes from various instruments as well as bass.

9. pogopop77

pogopop77

Nov 6, 2008
    Maby and Thomas are two of my favorites as well. I did want to point out that BT did not play bass on "Watching The Detectives". That was recorded prior to the formation of the Attractions and while it does feature Steve Naive, the bass and drums are handled by members of Graham Parker's Rumour (Andrew Bodnar and Steve Goulding, respectively).

10. oh...:eyebrow:..in that case, BT sucks! ;)

Next, you're going to tell me that Graham Maby didn't play on all of Joe Jackson's records, either...:rollno:

:D...;)

11. tonedeafmike

tonedeafmike

Jan 13, 2008
    Maryland
    Saw him play in Atlantic City on Saturday night. He played and sounded great. I've never seen a guy play pick and finger styles during the same song. It was pretty interesting.

12. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Man, I wanted to go to that show but I was away on business and had to pass on tickets.

I've always been a big Joe Jackson and Graham Maby is a big part of why (besides just liking Jackson's music). He's done exactly what was needed every time Jackson changed things up.

Great player!