Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Grand Rapids Luthier

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Wyzird05, Jun 12, 2004.

1. Wyzird05

Wyzird05

Dec 1, 2003
    South Bend, IN
    Does anyone know of the work Kevin Flannery from Grand Rapids does? I want to have bridge adjusters installed and he came reccommened from a friend of a friend. In an earlier post Michelle Fiori was mentioned but I just don't know if I feel comfortable driving throught Chicago in a Blazer with my DB. I suppose if no one knows of Mr. Flannery's work I will let everyone know from my experience or I may chicken out and give Steve Reiley a call, b/c I have heard he does great work.

2. You can't go wrong with Steve Reiley at Guarneri House.

3. Wyzird05

Wyzird05

Dec 1, 2003
    South Bend, IN
    So I ended up taking my bass to Kevin in GR. Originally the plan was to just install some bridge adjusters, but I figured once an actual bass luthier took a look at it I would need more done and I do. First he pointed out the string length under the bridge was to short and needed to be about 1/5 of the string length, then showed me the scoop in the neck was WAY to high on the bass and said he would work that out, next he recommended I get a metal cable instead of the nylon stuff I have on there now for the tailpiece, and hopefully he is going to install some bridge adjusters in the existing bridge that is a little thin otherwise I'm gonna have to shell out some cash for a new bridge. All in all I feel very comfortable with Kevin's knowledge and straight talk. He also charges a very reasonable rate in my opinion. Just before leaving he mentioned I'm going to have a completely different bass when he gets done with it! and I'm excited to hear the difference. He also mentioned one of his apprentices lives in Fort Wayne so hopefully I will have found a teacher, which I haven't had in sometime and have been looking for. I will report back with the results of this endevour next week when I pick up my bass and get to play it.

4. Wyzird05

Wyzird05

Dec 1, 2003
    South Bend, IN
    Today I picked up my bass from Kevin's shop and I am impressed with the way my bass plays. He warned me of somethings to watch for over the next few years. He also mentioned some adjustments I may want to make in order to open up the sound of the E-string, but for now he wants to see how the top of the bass reacts due to how thin it is and the soundpost crack :meh: it developed this past winter. He also showed me some basses he is in the process of making and they look great and he sells them for a very reasonable price of $9500, when he is completed wit hthe two I'm thinking about trying them. He mentioned his basses are getting better and better as he makes more. He is really going after the sound of the old italian basses.