1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Great Tube Power Amp Recommendations

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Adlerburg, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Adlerburg

Adlerburg

Aug 18, 2010
    Woodstock, NY
    I'm looking for a rack mountable tube power amp specifically made for bass 300+W under $1500. I'm using a Marshall 100/100 all tube power section now, but would like to get something with more power for bass. I'm using an Bmax-T pre in front of it.
    Thanks for your help.
    -Mick

2. fu22ba55

fu22ba55 Gold Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2009
  3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Aguilar DB728
    Demeter VTHF-300M
    Trace Elliot VR350/400
    Mesa/Boogie Strategy 400/500

4. Classickbass

Classickbass

Aug 15, 2010
    Kingston, TN
  5. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks I build Grosbeak Guitars and Basses Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Grosbeak Guitars
    I want an Aguilar DB728 so bad!

6. Adlerburg

Adlerburg

Aug 18, 2010
    Woodstock, NY
  7. anonymous02282011

anonymous02282011 Guest

Jun 27, 2007
    Ampeg made a 'power amp only' version of the SVT. A sextet of 6550s.

They don't come up too often, but there was one last year at Daddys Junky Music for 600 bucks.

They had listed it under the PA amps section.

8. Adlerburg

Adlerburg

Aug 18, 2010
    Woodstock, NY
    Now that piques my interest! 6 6550's in an SVT power only configuration... do you know what the model number was/is?
    And the Aggie has 8 6550's ... I'm sure that thing is crushing and sounds good! The Aggie sounds like it'd be out of my price range.

Thanks... this is a head. I'd like to pick up a rackmountable power amp.

9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    It is a phenomenal amp. The Demeter also has eight 6550's. You should be able to get either of them used in your price range.

10. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I think the Ampeg was called the SVT300.

11. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Yeah but if you plugged your Bmax into its Effects Return jack you'd be bypassing the heads internal preamp/EQ and only using its tube poweramp section. A Mesa D-180, 400, 400+, SVT-II or SVT-IIpro could all be used like this, take up the same 4-rack space as their poweramp only variants, dont weigh much more, are usually much easier to locate and would also give you a built-in backup preamp in case you Bmax died, you wanted to blend/stack the 2 pre's together or someday you just wanted a different tone option.

12. anonymous02282011

anonymous02282011 Guest

Jun 27, 2007
    Correct.

13. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Or and SVT II Pro and don't use the preamp section; musch easier to find and not that much heavier

14. koobie

koobie

Jul 11, 2007
    Portland OR
  15. Adlerburg

Adlerburg

Aug 18, 2010
    Woodstock, NY
    Between Aggie, Ampegs, Demeter, Boogies, Trace etc, I certainly have some great choices. Thanks to everyone for the help. My apologies if there was redundancy as a careful search unveiled a lot of previous info as well. Many choices and a lot to think about.
    Thanks guys.
    -Mick

16. Adlerburg

Adlerburg

Aug 18, 2010
    Woodstock, NY
  17. jerseytarpit

jerseytarpit

May 2, 2008
    I have a Trace Elliot VR350 all tube power amp. It's rated 350 watts but it puts out more than that. The last tech that worked on it said it was pushing around 400.

18. monkeyfinger

monkeyfinger Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I had one years ago. Sold it. In my opinion, tube amps really shine when they are pushed hard. I don't mean they have to be at full distortion all the time, but they need that drive to get the rich harmonics out of the power tubes. Running a DB728 hard enough to get that sound means you a playing bloody loud. In my opinion, most of us weekend warriors are better off with a tube power amp in the 100-150 watt range.

19. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    With all due respect, I'd be one to disagree with that. I use SVT's at low volumes all the time and I dig it a lot. Nice and clean and clear and just as rich to my ears, just quieter. I prefer playing them a little louder (who doesn't?) but it doesn't bother me in the least to keep the volume down.

Anyway, I'd just go full-on SVT. They're easier to find, and all the preamps in the different SVT's blow away the BBE preamp IMHO, and even if you decide you really have to use the BBE, you can just stick it in the effects return. I can pretty much guarantee you won't feel much of a need for it, though.

20. necro

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021