1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Grit

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by one, Jun 8, 2007.

1. one

one

Aug 21, 2006
    Boston.UK
    I am after a little bit of dirt/grit to offer my rig/s, and im pretty stuck, in where to go about this. I've owned and tried numerous pedals, and havn't found what im after yet!
    Just to try and help you guys help me:
    MXR M-80 - Just feels and sounds too week, too distant and no presence.
    EHX nano muff - Can only handle up to my A string, and lack of settings
    Marshall Jackhammer - Just didn't seem to cut the mustard (yes overdrive, but isn't obnoxious)
    EHX Metal Muff - It has the dirt and grit, but no low end and stupidly over the top (for bass anyway)

I don't want no EHX English Russ-ican metal pi muff'n shizzle. I however have never had the oppertunity to use any form of sansamp, so i don't know if this is what i'm after(and i allready have the MXR M-80, so it wouldn't double as a DI too. £150+ doesn't seem worth it just for the distortion channel)

Sorry, this question has probably been on this forum, millions of times, but i didn't find much other than the Sansamp...

:help:

2. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I'm still a little confused about what exact sound you're trying to get. Could you post a link or two with clips of the sound, or name some tunes we might have heard that contain it?

3. one

one

Aug 21, 2006
    Boston.UK
    I guess its the Tubey/Ampegey kinda Grit, but don't have millions to spend and i don't actually want a Ampeg rig or to change my rig.
    Maybe just 'tubey/Ampegey grit in a box?'

4. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    That's a job for a Sansamp if I've ever heard one.

5. JLW

JLW

Dec 5, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    What's your reason for not wanting an EHX English Muff'n?

The reason I ask is because that replicates it pretty accurately. But you said you didn't want one.

6. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    I thought the same thing, but you can't change someone's mind... Plus it sounded like he already wants a Sansamp.

7. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    BJFE Blue Berry Bass Overdrive

http://www.boogeresque.com/mp3samples/3BOD01.mp3
    http://www.boogeresque.com/mp3samples/3BOD02-01.mp3
    http://www.boogeresque.com/mp3samples/3BOD02-02.mp3

Lots of pedals out there do tube enough, but this one completely nails it. Expensive and hard to track down, but it does the tube overdrive thing so well I sold my Sunn amp.

We're talkin' power amp tube overdrive, not the lousy preamp variety. ;)

8. one

one

Aug 21, 2006
    Boston.UK
    -They're huge,
    -Run on 18V,
    -Have to be handled really carefully i suspect,
    -Replacement tubes,

It seem impractical and i don't know why, but i just don't seem to care for the Muff'n. I suppose that if i ever get a pedal board together, then the above reason would be out the window...

EDIT:maybe i should get a pedal board together at last!!!

9. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    True, but if you have a wah pedal of any kind, you're used to large pedals already.

It's 12VAC, actually. Which only means it's that much harder to power, since you have to use its own adapter. :meh:

They're tougher than you think.

Do you know how often those tubes get replaced? It's a once-every-few-years sort of thing! I wouldn't call that an inconvenience at all. In fact, you can change its sound and range of overdrive by changing those tubes for a different type - that's a bonus of flexibility!

Anyhow... for what you're looking for, ditch that M-80 and replace it with a SansAmp Bass Driver DI (we usually call it the BDDI, for short) or an English Muff'n. The only real drawbacks about the Muff'n are its size and power requirements... otherwise, it's an amazing pedal.

The SansAmp in particular was designed to nail that Ampeg SVT all-tube sound. For more flexibility, consider the Programmable SansAmp Bass Driver (or PBDDI, as we call it around here).

10. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    It's too bad you are pre-disposed to hating the English Muff'n. Its sound is worth the size and power annoyances, and it's not as fragile as you make it out to be. You do know it sounds NOTHING like the other Muff pedals, right? However, since that's the case, I'd say your next best bet might be a SansAmp or a Fulltone Bass Drive.

11. one

one

Aug 21, 2006
    Boston.UK
    I'm deffinatly gunna look into the Muff'n a bit more now.

Stupid money, but just out of curiosity what about the EBS ValveDriver, MicroBassII and multidrive like compared? I've also heard the XXL is a pretty nice grit pedal, but with more bite than the BDDI.

12. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Heh... now you're getting into the range of more expensive tube-emulating pedals.

From what I've seen and heard of them here on TB and on the EBS website, they're expensive but worthwhile contenders for tube-amp-like overdrive.

The MicroBass has more features than one could possibly expect to fit on an enclosure that's the same size as the regular SansAmp BDDI!

I haven't tried the ValveDrive, but it's tube-loaded like the Muff'n, and designed with bass in mind. The Muff'n works great on bass, but I'd imagine the ValveDrive has a different voice to it.

13. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
  14. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    As far as EBS stuff goes, I didn't like the Multidrive (just not enough flavor for me) but I did like the Valve Drive. I've played it and the Muff'n but not in a short enough time span to really A/B them. If not for the price, I might have bought one. I've never tried the MicroBass II.

I don't think the XXL is what you're looking for. I've got one and while I've looked at other heavy distortions, it's still on my board. So it's served me well. But it is a HEAVY overdrive, not a "grit" adding pedal, though it can add some growl at very low settings. Still, I think there are better pedals for adding just a touch of dirt. The XXL is best at higher gain settings.

Here's the link
    to the Basstasters samples.

15. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science!

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    I also was looking for "just a little grit". After owning 5 different O.D.'s and auditioning probably 10 different boxes I finally found what I was looking for in the EBS Valve Drive. I was lucky to get mine for under $200 used, but I'd buy it new in a heartbeat! You do need the 12v ac adapter, however. The Valve Drive is true-bypass and it has an input pad for active instruments. A very versatile preamp/od.

The Fulltone Bass-Drive can get close to what I think your going for. Although it is a little too "edgy" with active basses IME. If you use the comp-cut feature it really opens up the headroom. The only thing I don't love about it is that it accentuates the mids a little. It's a great pedal, though. A keeper. It also can run off a 9volt.

The English Muff'n has a pretty dedicated following here on TB. I have yet to try one, but it looks promising to me as well.

The SansAmp stuff is capable of adding just a little grit. They aren't the most transparent units in the world, but you get an indispensable tool at the same time. If your real amp ever dies, you're still in the game with a SansAmp. Be ready for your tone to totally change with it engaged - which is either a good or bad thing, depending on who you are!

16. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Inactive

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    I just got my Analog.man modded TS9DX in today, and if there's a pedal that can do it all, it's that one.

Every one of the 4 modes sound great, even though you have to adjust the drive and level if you switch.

Don't regret letting my Fulltone go at all.

17. 4lPh4n0m3g4

4lPh4n0m3g4

Nov 19, 2004
    Perhaps a Barber LTD SR would work for you.

18. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    I have both of these units. For 'grit' distortion, the SansAMp BDI rules...and it's a preamp and an amp/speaker cab emulator!

19. DbNBassist

DbNBassist

Aug 12, 2006
    Britain
    YOU HAVE AN EHX English Russ-ican metal pi muff'n shizzle?!!! :eek:

Iristone likes this.
  20. TaylorW

TaylorW

Feb 9, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    you should check on the MXR Bass BlowTorch

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021