1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ground Hiss on a Fender J24

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vernhillbass, Mar 25, 2013.

1. vernhillbass

vernhillbass

May 11, 2012
    I have a Fender J24, Korean made, with a ground issue. Last night when I was playing it I noticed that when I touched the control cavity screws there was an audible hiss. I guess I had never noticed this before. I am going to get a VOM and test the ground circuit but any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I hear the electronics on those are terrible, and ruin what would otherwise be a great bass. I bought a used one from GC that was in flawless, perfect cosmetic condition. It was beautiful, perfect intonation all the way up to the 24th fret. One little problem, there was no output.

3. vernhillbass

vernhillbass

May 11, 2012
    I have heard many who own this model have put the battery in backwards and fried the preamp. Fender did not protect the circuit. I have considered replacing the original preamp. The bass has a killer tone and I do love it (looks and playability).

4. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I read the same thing. I did put in a brand new battery the correct way though. Then another battery. Then I tried a different cord. Then I took it to a friends house to try it with his rig/cords/batteries etc. I wanted to make sure it was indeed busted before I returned it. It's a shame. It was a beautiful bass.

5. steve_rolfeca

steve_rolfeca Supporting Member

Terminology issue: Do you mean a "hiss", like white noise?

Or a buzz/hum?

If it's truly a hiss, then it has nothing to do with grounding.

6. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    I dont have exp with that bass.. but just wanted to suggest that maybe the amp isnt grounded properly.(well, rather the outlet your amp is plugged into)?

Have you tried any other basses thru that amp where it is plugged in now?

Just a thought. Carry on.

7. vernhillbass

vernhillbass

May 11, 2012
    Bassdirty, when I touch the screws I hear a crackle sound. It is not loud but seems to point to a wiring issue. Hope that clarifies it. The circuit in my house is grounded.

8. vernhillbass

vernhillbass

May 11, 2012