Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Magical_Max, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Hello,

A friend of mine has got an old old DOD Grunge pedal (pre fx-69, with 3.5mm power input) That he regurlaly got some phat tones out of and that got me thinking about trying to source me one. So I searched around and found one of these:
    Has anyone got one of these?
    Are they as good, better or worse than the DOD ones?
    Any samples other than the Digitech website, preferably bass?
    I just did a search on these bad boys and didn't come up with very much at all, unless today's rubbishness has continued outside of work.

Cheers in advance.
  2. The Digitech version is the worst distortion I've ever heard. It's just noise for the sake of noise, blurs notes, and sounds terrible. Dunno if this one is any better.
  3. DOD made a bass grunge for awhile... that might be more your thing. They go for pretty cheap on eBay.
  4. bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    I tried one of those out a while back. It is definitely noisy and not very tasteful, but it's pretty cool if you're looking for an obnoxious distortion. I'll probably pick one up sometime, just to have on hand. You could buy one from a place with a return policy and send it back if it's not your bag. Good luck.
  5. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Yep, it was the FX92 Bass Grunge. Awesome pedal for bass but rather difficult to find as they have been discontinued for quite some time.

As for them going cheap, I don't think so. Maybe if you compare it to the cost of a boutique or upper end pedal, maybe. The cheapest one I have seen one sell for on Ebay has been $41 plus shipping. I have seen them go as high as $80! :eek:

Now about that Digitach Grunge pedal, IMO it is pure garbage. It is abslotule nothing like the DoD pedal of the same name. Ofcourse, it might be just what you're looking for.
  6. thejoey57

Jan 18, 2006
    I have this pedal
    and by itself it isnt too impressive
    BUT when I team it up with my Wholly Mammoth
    It has this thick gritty chuncky sound
    It sounds badass
  7. Cheers for the response guys, been abit crazy at work hence the delayed reply.

Might have to look into one of them there Bass Grunge's, theres one on the 'bay at the mo.

"thejoey57" have you got any samples with this running through bass kicking around that I could listen to?

Thanks again.
  8. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Don't rule out a Big MUff...

Turn the sustain down, and it'll get a bot of dirt on the tone...

They go on ebay and elsehwere for cheap, and even new, they aren't too bad.
  9. Yer the Muff does some bad ass sounds but i'm still looking for that something that I can't quite put my finger on.
    I kinda like the Muff as a fuzziness box.
  10. bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    If you are looking for a great distortion that is relatively inexpensive and is different than the 'Muff, check out a Tech 21 XXL. IMO, it's the best distortion out there, for the money. Good luck.
  11. Thanks again for the replies.

I'm going to investigate the XXL and keep my eye out for a Bass Grunge or an old Grunge pedal. I'll post some samples of the Grunge or the Tech 21 XXL in the sample thread if/when I get one or both of them.

12. bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Good luck with the testing. I hope you find what you're looking for.
  13. i played around with a friend's grunge pedal one time, it sounded like crap. you totally lost your dynamics and tonal differences when you played it. he has the guitar model, though. :meh:
  14. bassforce

bassforce Guest

Feb 7, 2007
    Can anybody post sound samples? I'm going to buy FX92 Bass Grunge, it's extra cheap ( like Behringers ), but I dunno how does it sound.

I need MAD & NAUGHTY bass distortion with big lows and blend knob, Big Muff is too courteous and nice for me, and it's bypass ( russian ) SUXX the tone :/

I lked Digitech Bass Driver tho, but the Grunge is 100$ cheaper ;)
  15. RobTheSkanker

Aug 29, 2006
    Dundalk, MD
    theres only been one time that I could use my digitech grunge pedal, and thats for this one little guiar part in a song and it was to just contrast the acoustic, but the distortion was definitely over the top with the gain tutned all the way down on it, anything above that is just rediculous, just noise, not really even distortion anymore after that. I remember trying it for bass and it just being purely bad there, nothing that appealed to me.
  16. bassforce

bassforce Guest

Feb 7, 2007
    Yup, but digitech is not a dod, and grunge is not a bass grunge ...
  17. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    New Orleans, LA
    bootsy uses the digitech grunge
  18. wazzel

Dec 27, 2007
    Houma, LA
    I have the DOD bass grunge and hardly ever use it.
  19. bassforce

bassforce Guest

Feb 7, 2007
    Wazzel - can you put some soundsamples on rapidshare or youtube?
  20. wazzel

Dec 27, 2007
    Houma, LA
    I don't have a good way to record it.