1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Guess I'm Doing Fine

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by meursault42, May 17, 2011.

1. meursault42

meursault42

Jun 21, 2006
    Do you happen to remember what bass you used? I was just listening to Sea Change this morning and that bass tone really stood out, in a good way. It's actually the first time I've really zoned into the bass part while listening to that song. I suppose that means it's fairly captivating because that's usually the first thing I do! Anyway, that whole album is such a masterclass in good taste and tone, from everyone involved. I wish Beck would've made a "Making Of..." documentary for that project...I'd be watching it everyday, for sure.

2. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen Gold Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2005
    50th Anniv Fender P Bass, D'Addario Chromes, B-15R, no DI. Thanks for the love on that! Ah, a "Making Of.." would be much fun indeed. I think, even more paramount to that, is figuring out a way to "get the band back together" and do another one like that, and like Mutations, which was done in the exact same room with the exact same people.

Best,
    JMJ

3. c0nsilience

c0nsilience

Aug 13, 2008
    Oklahoma
    co-founder, SynapticGroove
    That would be most appreciated and a killer live show to boot!

4. thombo

thombo Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Denver, CO
    That would be a cream-dream!!! Honestly, you, Beck, Nigel (for recording), Smokey, Joey, that dancing guy... that's one of the few bands (of my lifetime) that I always wanted to see that I never got to. I was all set, then Beck went out w/ the Flaming Lips instead.

5. kevbass5

kevbass5

Jan 18, 2008
    yes. beautiful beautiful stuff.

heartfelt thanks, congratulations, and admiration for being a part of such wonderful music, JMJ. it continues to inspire us all!

:)

6. meursault42

meursault42

Jun 21, 2006
    Chromes, eh? I would've guessed some worn-in rounds b/c of the amount of sustain. Guess those strings are more versatile than I thought. Cool, thanks for the reply on that.

Yes, indeed, that reunion would be epic. So, shall we start a campaign to get the Mutations/Sea Change band back together? ;-)

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    ya, post beck's phone number on here, and we'll prank call him till he gives in.

:D

8. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Yes! That would be spectacular.