1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Guitar Center Selling Questionable Used Fender

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by selowitch, Apr 5, 2018.

1. selowitch

selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    I'm pretty sure this is not a Geddy Lee Signature Bass.
    I couldn't say whether GC knew it was buying a fake (or at the very least, a hybrid parts bass), but don't they have an ethical obligation to disclose its non-authenticity?

Spidey2112 and TonyP- like this.
  2. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    Only if they're aware of it.

REMBO and Obese Chess like this.
  3. selowitch

selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
  4. MordBass

MordBass

Nov 1, 2017
    Midwest
    I made them aware of a mistagged item that was used and they did nothing. They it tagged as the much more desirable version and did nothing when I told the guy in the department.... and the store manager..... and the customer service messenger on the site....and the customer service phone line. Months went by and they never did a single thing about it.

5. selowitch

selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Another shameful example of widespread indifference from GC employees.

6. MordBass

MordBass

Nov 1, 2017
    Midwest
    Well to be honest, after they cut the commission rates from livable to laughable, then cut them some more, then some more, then got rid of them and now will likely not see 2019.... I kind of understand.

kdogg, TalHaz, Kubicki Fan and 2 others like this.
  7. selowitch

selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    So do I, but what a pathetic company culture.

TalHaz and MordBass like this.
  8. MordBass

MordBass

Nov 1, 2017
    Midwest
    100% agreed. At this point its hard for people to remember when they were still a great place to shop but there was a time.

9. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    I for one have my eye on a sweet vintage tube amp once they do go under and liquidate their inventory.....

Dan B, sigterm, MrKeef and 1 other person like this.
  10. BassholeKI

BassholeKI

Feb 10, 2017
    Yeah, not surprising from GC.

The Geddy Lee probably got past someone at the trade in counter. Couldn't see enough detail on the headstock but the neck looks at least right with the block inlays. But I've never seen that burst before ever.

selowitch and Spidey2112 like this.
  11. Maybe it actually is legitimate but has just been repainted. Regardless they shouldn’t be asking as much as they are for it considering that paint job is so bad.

12. ModuMan

ModuMan How many is too many? Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Bristol, CT #19
    It isn't just the pricier stuff. A friend told me his wife was buying a "purple Fender Jazz bass".

My theory: they just don't care.

I'm not all that sure this is is even a MIM Fender neck (that logo?) but hey, his wife is happy.

28927975_10215458811807322_184433789_o 2. 28943066_10215458570841298_583885186_o 2.

13. madbass6

madbass6 Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2009
    I do not give consent to use any of my photos ! please respect that. thank you.
    hey what else can you expect it's GC! won't be the first or the last!

14. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    Apathy is an impenetrable fortress.

Thumb n Fingers and ajkula66 like this.
  15. Relsom

Relsom Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2013
    The Old Dominion
    Fake or not....I read all of this thread and finally went back to the top to see....I wanted to barf.

Mister Boh and phangtonpower like this.
  16. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I was just thinking about some basses that I bought from them and returned and how I could've stolen the guts or swapped bodies on Fenders. They'd have no idea. I didn't because I'm not a thief but plenty would, I'm sure.

ELG60 likes this.
  17. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    On the other hand, from the other perspective, Apathy is the Great Liberator. I unfortunately have the opportunity to use that one quite a lot at my current place of employment, where my daily mantra has become, out of necessity, "I can't afford to care".

gebass6 and Spidey2112 like this.
  18. ELG60

ELG60 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Mid-Florida
    That reminds me of when Hertz bought a fleet of Shelby Mustang GT350's ('65 or '66 I think) Your nefarious types would rent 'em, drag-race 'em over the weekend, and swap out the hi-po motors with standard 289's before returning them to Hertz on Monday. smh.

nbsipics likes this.
  19. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Sounds familiar...

20. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Disclaimer: "This product shows little signs of use and all controls are completely functional. It may have minor surface scratches."*

* In the form of a really craptastic paint job...