Guitar player rage quit cuz his amp got dinged

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by neo 7, Nov 23, 2022 at 9:06 AM.

1. neo 7

neo 7 The bass player doesn't get a sandwich

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    Guitar player got a new head a few weeks back. 100 watt Marshall tube head. He left it at the rehearsal spot (drummer's basement) since the day he got it.

After our first practice with this new head drummer offered guitar player a moving blanket to cover up the amp when not in use. Guitar player refused the blanket.

So last night as we're finishing rehearsal, guitar player picks up his beer off of his new head and notices a small ding in the tolex. He goes apeshiz, accuses me and the drummer of intentionally damaging his amp, and sabotaging the band. We tell him to piss off, and he loads up his gear (two trips) all while mumbling under his breath.

After he leaves me, drummer, and singer talk about what a crybaby this guy is, and it's probably time to fire him. About 5 minutes go by and drummer gets a text. It's guitar player informing us that he's quitting. We all had a good laugh.

I immediately walked over to the dry erase board and erased all the old, tried classic rock songs we're sick of playing. Within 5 minutes we had a new set list, mostly consisting of songs we wanted to cover but guitar player refused.

This band had become somewhat of a chore for me, but now I'm looking at it with renewed vigor and passion. Drummer and singer feel the same way. We're all really excited to work on the new setlist and find a new guitarist.

BassCodger, design, Alik and 104 others like this.
  2. 4SG

4SG

Mar 6, 2014
    You probably should have torn the grill cloth, just to make sure.

3. neo 7

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    He actually checked the grill cloth to see where we kicked it.

4. Al Rivera

Al Rivera

Mar 20, 2021
    Sounds like a cry baby ,besides ,who wants to be in a band with a guy who uses a 100 watt tube head? Lol

5. EricssonB

EricssonB Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2011
    CO
    Sometimes a change of lineup is the best change for a band. Sometimes it takes itself out. Congrats on moving forward.

Mojo34, Al Rivera, SemiDriven and 3 others like this.
  6. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    Anyone who puts a beer on the top of an amp head has no reason to get mad about others abusing his gear - he's being careless himself.

He lost a band, you lost a complainer. Sounds like you got the better end of the deal. What took you so long?

7. DrThumpenstein

DrThumpenstein Living for the groove Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2015
    St Louis, MO
    I just love problems that solve themselves.

Elusive1, Aqualung60, icefly and 39 others like this.
  8. roccobass

roccobass Still funkin’ in the free world.

Jun 25, 2014
    California
    This was inevitable. If it wasn’t his amp it would’ve been something else that was “dissed” or “dinged”. At least you didn’t waste too much time with him. All’s well that ends well, is what I say.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2022 at 9:37 AM
  9. turf3

turf3

Sep 26, 2011
    I'm guessing he just turned 16?

What a doofus.

10. neo 7

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    That's the main thing we laughed about. The ding was in the same spot where he had been placing his beer all night.

11. neo 7

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    He's 60

12. turf3

turf3

Sep 26, 2011
    60? Well, then he's even more of a doofus.

13. nickpc

nickpc

Jul 23, 2012
    North Carolina
    "Sometimes the trash takes it self out" - Deke, 2014.

14. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    This, in spades.
    Enjoy the improved band!

dbbltime, Gloompunk, Beej and 5 others like this.
  15. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Odd. I've found that most men seem to go in one direction or the other the older they get.

I'm 51. It seems each day I get a little more Zen about the things I can't control. I become a little bit more of a softy. I get more emotional about friendships and family. I long for periods of relaxation. I seek out chill people.

Some men get more grumpy as time passes. Irritability seems to be their homeostasis. They find ways to get back to grumpy if they start to chill out too much.

Best of luck with the new guitar player. Good luck to him finding a band that will let him crank up a HUNDRED WATT MARSHALL HEAD!!!!!! (What a ludicrous amp to have in a bar band.) Having that kind of guitar head tells me all I need to know about that guy anyway.

16. Hasty

Hasty

Jul 4, 2014
    Fort Worth, Tx
    60 with a 100W tube amp? Hopefully he didn’t break the headstock on his Les Paul while packing up.

I’ll see myself out…

Ekulati, red_rhino, hbarcat and 18 others like this.
  17. Yup, the beer on the new head pretty-much sums it up! ANYONE who would accuse me of intentionally damaging gear would have their beer placement pointed out to them and secondly, be told in no uncertain terms that if I had a problem with them, it would be between me and them not their gear! That to me sounds simply childish. I'd certainly ask if anyone knew what happened,etc. but this blame game bs is for children.

Flamingo21, Naturekev, Engle and 2 others like this.
  18. Geri O

Geri O Endorsing Artist, Mike Lull Guitars and Basses Gold Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    When I started playing for a living at age 56 again, I just knew that all of the drama and bull$h$t from players I dealt with in my 20s, 30s, and 40s, was over with because we're all adults now, right?

WRONG!

In a lot of cases, it's worse. In the country music artist I work with, all the guys are great. All in the mid-to-late 50s. I felt right at home on my first gig with them and have ever since.

But the local 14-piece horn band I'm in, there's 4 singers and 6 horn players. Good Grief, Charlie Brown! The Diva factor is huge with that bunch. Fortunately, I'm a hired gun there, so the leader has to deal with the BS who (A) can be a diva himself, but (B) handles all the diva-ness quite nicely, I must say. Unfortunately, that band is all in 40s to mid-70s. We/they are seeing all but one singer (himself 74 YO and singing and performed better than ever) "age out" of the band with various age-related ailments and 3 of the horn players are having similar issues. I've spoken with the leadsman a few times about this (who's seeing friends he's played with for 40-50 years) have to stop performing. At this point, if a gig for that band gets booked, we'll get local folks that can half-way read and an extra singer or two, have a rehearsal, and carry on.

Actually, being 64, seeing this breaks my heart and I give thanx to the Good Lord Above every day to be able to play relatively pain-free.

Yes, I drifted off the topic there a bit. If that 60-YO guitarist with an attitude could see what a whole lot of us are seeing around us, perhaps he'd have a change of heart. Or not....

19. Grinderman

Grinderman

Dec 21, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Wah-wah

20. I love when people are all precious about their gear. It was once assumed that your gear would take a bit of a pounding because we didn't baby things the way some people do today, but instead we packed up trucks with things that we knew had been built to take a beating, and nobody cared much about the odd ding or scratch. The most fragile things got road cases and nobody cared about the cases getting scratched. Now people are so obsessive about stuff that they break up a band over it. Hilarious.

Well, you dodged a bullet with that guy. Have fun with the new, improved lineup!