1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Guitarist Freezes His Cables

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by GreggBummer, Oct 1, 2008.

1. I put this under live sound because the only other place it might belong is humor.

I recently was talking to a young (around 17 or 18... I am 35) guitar player. He was telling me all about how great he is, how great is equipment is, and (yawn) so on. Then he said he was getting ready for a big gig and had get home because he had to put his cables in the freezer.

What?

"Yeah, I have to put my cables in the freezer. You know resistivity is greater on a metal like copper if it is a higher temperature. So I freeze my cables to lower the resistivity and get a really sweet tone. You should try it."

My head nearly popped off. While his physics is probably ok, his common sense clearly isn't. I thought I would share.

By the way he plays "Doom Metal". I wont name his band, but I will hint that it has something to do with blood spatter.:D

2. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Extreme Douche Baggery!!!

3. Brad Maestas

Brad Maestas Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    Understatement
    Under State Meant
    Ünder Steak Mint
    Freakin' Idiot

He's doomed, alright!
    My favorite "hard" band name so far is from some fellow competitors at a BOTB in Shawnee, KS years ago.
    There was a bunch of 14-16 yr olds calling themselves, "Spine Blister."
    Still makes me laugh.

4. Well if that makes him happy..

I read an article about a guy who swore he could hear and feel the difference on material recorded in the computer using external firewire harddrives vs. internal sata drives..

THAT, made me laugh quite a bit.

D.Don

5. So this dude puts his cables in the freezer.

There are dudes that spend $3000 on their power cable.

There are LOTS of dudes all over this forum think that a warranty on a crappy cable justifies a price increase x 1.5.

There are athletes that don't change their underpants after winning games.

Maybe people will figure out how stupid they are.

Probably not.

6. Freezing your cables?

first off, they would thaw out by the time you play them, so your tone is going to change whilst playing.

second, wont the rubber crack or somthing after a while?

third, a freezer can be a pretty moist place, so wont it corrode pretty quickly?

fourth, why not just buy a better cable?

7. m.oreilly

m.oreilly

Jul 5, 2006
    Ukiah, CA
    ;)

8. Geezerman

Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Also buying power strips for 200$ and calling them "power conditioners"

:ninja::D

9. Resistivity? :eyebrow:

10. Resistivity does go down with temperature, but unless he plays with his cables in a freezer running on liquid nitrogen, he's an idiot.

Come to think of it...;)

11. That's why I use cryogenically cooled superconductive cable for my gigs.
    I have to bring along a tanker truck of liquid nitrogen.
    CryogenicGig.

12. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Well played. :)

13. fokof

fokof One day ,I'll be in the future

Mar 16, 2007
    Here
    "Uber snake oil" stuff ;

http://www.bedini.com/

A rotative motor and a magnet , sells for a couple of hundred bucks.
    Supposed to make your CD sound better

Lots of those beliefs in "audiophile" forums , very funny sometimes.

14. grovest

grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    He's a younger guy, interested in music (a good thing) and possibly aware of some science (a good thing). Maybe he'll attend a university someday and develop something truly useful.

15. CrazyArcher

CrazyArcher

Aug 5, 2004
    Israel
    Maybe not. ;)

16. gjsven

gjsven

Oct 6, 2007
    Canberra, Australia
    Endorsing Artist: Cutting Edge Guitars
    I've heard a number of people claim to be able to tell what brand of battery someone is using in their effects pedals by listening to them play...

17. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    True.

I only use batteries for studio work.
    Because the electromagnetic interference of the power supply and the cables is noticable on recordings. Especially when recording with firewire. Varta is the batterij I have the best experience with.

For live I don't mind the "powersupply sound" tinting my effect pedals.

But those guys who claim it has more effect on analog pedals then digital pedals are truly nuts IMO.

:)

18. Guest043

Guest043 Guest

Apr 8, 2008
    correction, "absolute moron" forums.

19. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    That's one of the most stupid things I've heard in a long time.

I admit though that when I saw the thread title, I instantly knew the reason behind it.

+1 to line6man also :)

20. Being a 17 year old, I see crap like that all the time.

I think I have one that can top this:

I have an aquaintance who plays guitar. He doesn't know any theory, note names, knows few chords and can't hold down a 12-bar blues progression. He's big on a lot of 60's psychadelic stuff. Loves the fuzz box. He's a gear freak who returned a $2000 Les Paul because he didn't like how the Sunburst finish reflected in the lights in his basement. Huge audiophile too.

One day about six months ago he decides he is going to become a classical pianist and attend a conservatory. He goes out and buys the complete score to Holst's Planets. He can't sight read and refuses to get a teacher. Here's the kicker: he is worrying about what sound systems his orchestral compositions will be played on after he graduates from the conservatory.

Now mind you, he hasn't written a single piece, can't play Mary Had a Little Lamb on the piano, doesn't even know note names, hasn't gotten into a conservatory (they will laugh their asses off when he walks in for an audition) and he is worried about THE FRICKING SOUND SYSTEM THAT THE MUSIC HE HASN'T COMPOSED WILL BE PLAYED ON!

/rant.