Guitarist J Geils Dead at 71

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bunk McNulty, Apr 16, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    John Warren Geils Jr., better known as J. Geils, the guitarist of the the J. Geils Band, was found dead in his home in Groton, Massachusetts Tuesday. He was 71. Rolling Stone has confirmed Geils’ death. According to Groton Police, “a preliminary investigation indicates that Geils died of natural causes.”

“At approximately 4 p.m., Groton Police responded to a home on Graniteville Road for a well-being check,” Groton Police said in a statement. “Upon arrival to the house, police located a man who was unresponsive. He was declared dead at the scene … The Groton Police Department is investigating the death, as is standard procedure in all unattended deaths, however foul play is not suspected at this time.”

Guitarist J. Geils (Rolling Stone)

2. GregC

GregC Questlove, Black Thought, Hamilton Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    I was confused because I thought he'd already died, and he did--the article is dated 4/12/17.

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Whew...Twilight Zone moment.

4. getrhythm

getrhythm

Nov 2, 2015
    New Jersey
    B7SRUsZCEAMycDM[1].png I saw this show.

kobass, joe vegas, lowplaces and 3 others like this.
  5. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Well since we are talking about him/them anyway, one of the things that gets overlooked in that very talented band was the rhythm section, Stephen Bladd and Danny Klein had a such a killer lock. Bladd has to be one of the most overlooked drummers from that period. I saw them a LOT back in the day, they were ubiquitous in the NYC area concert scene of the early 70's.

Joshua, OldDog52, Rich Fiscus and 3 others like this.
  6. getrhythm likes this.
  7. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Out there!
    Why does this bring Tom Petty to mind?

Remember what happened with that?

8. getrhythm

getrhythm

Nov 2, 2015
    New Jersey
    Nice! I met Ian and Ruth Underwood outside before the show. Apparently, Ian was going to join the Magic Band on guitar but eventually had to bail because of migraines. As we were talking a limo containing CB & the MB pulled up, the Underwoods bid me a farewell and hopped in the car, I said hi to the boys in the band and they pulled away. I also snuck a cassette recorder into the show but the tape is long gone.

cdef, Bob_Ross and oldrocker like this.
  9. CB and the MB especially Rockette Morton were on fire for that show. As I remember, many of the J Geils band fans weren't too impressed.

Billy Joel was an unknown at the time and played the opening set to a pretty empty house. This was before Piano Man and Captain Jack was his big song of the night.

10. MCF

MCF

Sep 1, 2014
    US
    Interesting bills. One I’d have loved to see was King Crimson, Redbone and The Flying Burrito Bros. On the same night. And obviously very early Yes Shows.

11. getrhythm

getrhythm

Nov 2, 2015
    New Jersey
    Exactly! I remember the J. Geils fans yelling during the Captain's set.."J.GEILS! J. GEILS!"
    And B.J. was solo and forgettable (to me).

12. Tim Skaggs

Tim Skaggs

Sep 28, 2002
    My most enduring memory of the J. Geils band is the note on the album cover of one of their 70's live albums; "made loud to play loud".

View attachment 3389278

Attached Files:

ShirazBop, mikewalker and jackn1202 like this.
  13. ELG60

ELG60

Apr 26, 2017
    Mid-Florida
    Yeah, that article's over two years old ... Musta got lost.

gebass6, Bob_Ross, GregC and 4 others like this.
  14. beaglesandbass

beaglesandbass Think first, then post? Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
  15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 23, 2022

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.