Guitarist joining the dark side

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by JWH91, Sep 30, 2017.

1. JWH91

JWH91

Sep 30, 2017
    Hello everyone, as stated I've been opted to play bass while still performing vocals, I will admit I do enjoy playing bass and singing way more than I did trying to coordinate a guitar riff and sing. I play in a post hardcore/pop punk band, either way I wanted to make the most out of becoming the bassist so I went out and got myself a LTD F155DX (about to be fitted with Seymour Duncan SSB-5s and a Hartke lh1000 amp. For the moment I am playing through a peavey 1820 and a behringer 412 cab with jensens. Soon I will find a way to utilize the 1100W bridge mode in the amp but for now my set up is good for our practices. Thanks for having me! If any of you have suggestions for a cab set up to compliment my hartke lh1000 please let me know, like I said I'm new to bass rigs and playing bass in general

2. Welcome. My hobby budget does not let me go for the expensive stuff, so I'll beg off on your question. But...... welcome to our World.

3. JWH91

JWH91

Sep 30, 2017
    Well I use to restore and flip motorcycles for years but I ended up spending a lot more than I made, so a switch up in hobbies was for the best, playing bass is generously less expensive lol

Justinvs likes this.
  4. viper4000

viper4000

Aug 17, 2010
    Charlotte
    Welcome! There are a lot of resources, both threads and members, on this site. Take all advice with a grain of salt. Take a look at the Stickies, you'll learn a lot, especially singing and playing bass. Most often gear selection is subjective. When you have a choice, buy used. If you don't like it, you can usually flip it for the same price and not be out much. Last but not least, be very careful of GAS (guitar acquisition syndrome). There are so many awesome basses and other gear on this site, you'll want all of it!!!

5. Strewth, you'd look well with that LTD F155DX thing playing in a band with Doyle Wolfgang Von Frankenstein ;)

6. JWH91

JWH91

Sep 30, 2017
    Dude I shagin love the misfits haha I wish I was as ripped as Doyle.

7. Haha JWH91, I wish I was with his mrs lol
    (can I express such a sentiment on here?)

How did you quote me btw? I can't figure out how to do that.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2017
  8. Greetings! I'm a guitar player who switched to bass, too. Then back to guitar, then back to bass, but that's a whole 'nother story!

FWIW, the amps I play through are used stuff I've picked up along the way, so not a lot of money in them. I use a Carvin 4-10 cab and an old Peavy BassMax head, or a Peavey Windsor head through a Behringer 4-12 cab, which as you probably guessed is part of my guitar rig. Depends on the gig, but the 4-10 cab is punchier, more focused, while the Windsor/4-12 combo really nails the old 70's Classic Rock stuff.

I guess the point of my rambling is you don't need to spend a fortune to get some very playable gear. Good luck and welcome to the Dark Side!

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021