1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Gulf oil spill. Help me understand.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by RWP, Apr 28, 2010.

1. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    All good points and I do understand fault tolerant designs. It's just that this disaster sucks from so many angles.

Am not... :spit:

2. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    I understand we only a few hundred years away from fusion! :hyper:

3. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    The Tommyknockers powered everything with D cells, now if only we could find that damned ship!

4. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois

:D

5. Those numbers look about right IIRC -- except for what we can produce domestically in AK, both OCS, and the Eastern Gulf. Add natural gas into the mix and we can likely rid ourselves of OPEC [even with Chavez]. We could likely do this in less than 15 years if we were to start soon, but I also wish for Scarlett Johansson to knock on my door tonight and wisk me away to Hawaii for a romp in the surf.

6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    you'll get no argument from me there. :(.

7. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    Been working in petrochem instrumentation & control systems for 20+ years.
    One question comes to mind:

Does a BOP require periodic testing and documentation like petrochem ESD systems/SIS do?

BP does have a very-tarnished safety record. It will be interesting when/if the maintenance logs are examined.

8. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I'm not getting this. Says who? :eyebrow: Lots of stuff is designed to operate at 4000 psi. The tensile strength of steel can be upwards of 100000 psi, and its bulk modulus is 30 million psi.

I'm not saying that the BOP was correctly designed, but I don't think it is beyond the state of the art of engineering to design one that works.

9. That's not what they're saying behind your back ;)

10. Them and what army?

11. The Canadian army! Be afraid, be very afraid!

(Although I should point out they're the only nation to burn the Whitehouse to the ground!)

12. drteeth

drteeth

Apr 1, 2008
    Leuven, Belgium
    They're coming to get you!

[​IMG]

13. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    and if the only component of the system involved in the automatic shuttoff, or in the subsequent efforts to manually shut the leak off, were pure blobs of steel, then you'd be right. don't think that's the case though, and any system involved is going to be only as strong as its weakest link.

and -my- point was that the definiton of "one that works" is what the issue is here. these obviously work "most of the time" since we haven't gotten headline news reports of them failing before. i still think that 100% foolproof is going to be very difficult to achieve in that harsh an environment. it's hard enough to get anything to work 100% in 1 atmosphere.

14. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    they weren't a nation then, they were just, as always, a little slow to do what was best for themselves :hyper: - took em another 50 years to start that ball rolling.

15. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    Lets assume it's impossible to to make a BOP that will function properly every time there is an issue. What would the cost be to have, as standard practice, a secondary well site that would serve as a relief well in case of an accident like this?

Apparently this is the plan if the BOP can't be activated. PSpookie pointed out that I am not a under sea oil well engineer. Thank God. However, I am a realist and I know there are always ways of mitigating the effects of disasters of this magnitude. We are not talking about a small spill here. This is epic. :eyebrow:

16. Biggest estimates for ANWR are 1%-2% increase in total production at peak, ~15 years after work starts... and it's the biggest thing out there.

You're talking about a 50% increase in oil production. 50%.

...and natural gas is great as a fuel, but remember - only about 1/2 of the oil we use goes to fuel uses. The rest goes for chemical and fertilizer manufacture, plastics manufacture, etc.

17. Oops... it just got even worse.

"Officials said late Wednesday the estimated amount of oil spewing into the Gulf of Mexico from three underwater leaks after last week's oil rig explosion has increased to as much as 5,000 barrels, or 210,000 gallons, a day -- five times more than what was initially believed."

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/04/29/louisiana.oil.rig/index.html?hpt=T1

18. Yeah, I know... but it was funnier to say the Canadians were responsible. We Brits have a bad enough reputation for destroying things!

19. ANWR isn't the only new production we can get out of AK. Then there's the vast potential [likely?] of the OCS and East Gulf.

20. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Understatement of the thread.