1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Guyatone BL2 Compressor

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by meursault42, Aug 25, 2012.

1. meursault42

meursault42

Jun 21, 2006
    This one:

bl2big.

What would be the "high end" equivalent of this unit, like say, in a rackmount or hi quality pedal? I like this little guy a lot, especially on the "fast" attack setting with the threshold fairly low. I use it often with my Hofner Club to control dynamics and bring out the pick attack. But my sense is that it'd be a bit too noisy for home studio use. Compressionistas, any thoughts?

2. meursault42

meursault42

Jun 21, 2006
    ^^

3. Silens

Silens

Dec 27, 2011
  4. meursault42

meursault42

Jun 21, 2006
    Yes, I'm very familiar with his review site. It's an unbelievably valuable resource. In fact, it's the reason why I picked up the BL2 in the first place. Like bongo, I was intending to use it as a post-envelope-filter limiter. But found that I liked it more as a kind of set-and-forget tone shaping device for my Hofner instead. Now if I could just find something that has the same 'style' of compression but without the excess noise....

5. freeridden

freeridden

Dec 1, 2010
    Sorry if this is off topic. Will some compressors help if your middle and index plucking fingers sound different? Will it even out the tone?

6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I'd say look farther down on my "top picks" page, for the section on limiters. Most of the ones I mention there will fit the bill. Let me know if you have tried any of those, and are still needing something different in whatever specific way.

7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    No. A compressor evens out levels, not tones. A comp may affect your tone in one way or another, but it will have the same effect across the board, so the two fingers will still sound different.

8. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    The only way to get your middle and index fingers to sound more alike is to practice.