Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Guyz i need help PLEASE!!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by kewlguynick, Aug 22, 2005.

1. kewlguynick

kewlguynick

Aug 21, 2005
    I JUST got my bass guitar from one of my friends and i've been itching to play it, but i can't. When i plug it into my amp i don't hear the sound of the bass. I know the amp works because i can hear it, but no bass. I also wonder if there is some type of connection problem because my bass's connection is a bit loose. I opened the connection area and saw one wire and the three prongs on the connector. I don't know how bass guitars work in terms of connection so plleeze can u help. :bawl: :bawl: :bawl: :bawl:

2. Is it an active bass? It may need a new 9V

3. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Pictures always help :p What make/model is it, as well? As suggested, check the 9V battery, and make sure no connections are loose. Does anything happen when you wiggle the plug or anything like that?

-Ray

4. punkmetal

punkmetal Guest

Jul 19, 2005
    WI (milwaukee area)
    +1 to that
    also is you cord in working order ( i oly ask because my cuz had me on the phone for a half an hour freaking out once and thats sadly what it ended up being)

what kind of bass is it?

5. kewlguynick

kewlguynick

Aug 21, 2005
    inside of the area where u connect the wire to the bass there is the opening for the wire. I opened that up and saw that there were three prongs and a wire that was connected to nothing. Where do i connect this wire? It is a Rogue bass guitar, that is basically all i see.

6. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    What color is the wire?

-Ray

7. kewlguynick

kewlguynick

Aug 21, 2005
    yellow wire with a white tip
    imma try and find ma digi cam

8. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Cool thing about basses, you can usually mess around and figure things out without too much harm. What you can try to do, if all else fails, is just touch that wire to educated places to see which one results in a working bass. If there's only one wire currently on the input jack, and there's only one loose wire, chances are that loose wire goes to the jack. Is the wire that's connected to the jack black? If those conditions are met, touch that yellow wire to one of the prongs and have it plugged in etc. etc. and see if you get a signal. If not, try the other one. Sure, this isn't excatly the "right" way of doing things, but it wont harm much if you have your levels low and what not.

-Ray

9. kewlguynick

kewlguynick

Aug 21, 2005
  10. Hm..

Try getting it out to a local luthier. I really have no idea... if it's not battery related, it may just be chalked up to bad wiring.

Good luck.

11. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    At the very least there should be two wires on the jack (the piece you're holding in the 2nd pic). A black one, and a yellow one. Since both are missing, you'll get no signal. What you need to do is find the ground wire that'd run to the jack and solder it on, then solder the yellow wire to the + prong on the jack. I'd say contact Rogue and ask for a wiring diagram.

-Ray