1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Had your bass mistaken for a cello?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor [DB]' started by rolandm, Nov 25, 2015.

1. rolandm

rolandm In search of the lowest note.

Aug 8, 2010
    Peoria, IL
    Didn't matter if it was sitting on it its stand or if I'd already been playing it. Three separate gigs, all inside one week. I'm beginning to worry the bloody thing might actually BE a cello, and I just haven't realized it yet.

[​IMG]

WillieB and s van order like this.
  2. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    Yup; I feel your pain. It seems like almost every gig someone calls it a cello. This past Friday I had a woman insisting it was a cello and then proceeded to follow me around for ten minutes on the set break arguing about well, why isn't it tuned like a cello and why didn't I play the cello....

WillieB, bopeuph and rolandm like this.
  3. matt holt

matt holt Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2005
    Cincinnati OH
    I have this happen to me at least every other gig or so. It actually kind of surprises me that the cello is more well known than the upright bass-all the early Elvis videos have uprigh bass in them, every cartoon with a jazz/hillbilly band has a bass in it. It would seem that someone with minimal musical knowledge would know about the bass before the cello. But apperently not-or maybe cellists get their instruments called basses even more than we get the cello thing. Be interesting to ask some cellists about...

4. rolandm

Aug 8, 2010
    Peoria, IL
    You have a point there, Matt. I know a few cellists, perhaps I should conduct a poll.

5. Rayjay

Rayjay

Sep 27, 2014
    Lahaina, Maui, HI
    Hmmmm, let me think, oh yeah, only....EVERY TIME I TAKE IT OUT IN PUBLIC....that's all though!

bopeuph, Dogbertday and Steve Boisen like this.
  6. devnulljp

devnulljp Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    RLFGwl2_zpsb24eba0a.

7. Never. Not once.

What's a "cello"? Is that like "hi" and "ciao" combined?

DrayMiles and rolandm like this.
  8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Someone once came up to me and asked if I was playing an oboe.

[​IMG]

9. Well, were you? At the time?

Doubler-troubler...

rolandm likes this.
  10. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    I was walking into a concert gig with a BSX electric upright (black stick with a rotating rest) in its gig bag. A fellow sitting outside with his children said, "You're either a musician or an assassin." I felt like telling him that the way I played it was all the same.

11. rolandm

Aug 8, 2010
    Peoria, IL
    On occasion I take my Dean Contra to gigs where I can't play the Chadwick (like Sunday, when we're doing an outdoor Christmas parade on a float). It always tickles everyone to death when I show up with that big, long case, like I'm hauling in an RPG or something.

12. HateyMcAmp

HateyMcAmp Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Colorado
    I've come to peace with the cello misunderstanding. What still kills me though is when people ask about my "big guitar."

Rayjay likes this.
  13. i get it all the time.

i once sent a picture of a new bass of mine to a friend shortly after buying it. she replied "thats a fricken' cello"

sigh. this person knows i play the bass..

rolandm likes this.
  14. lcpierce

lcpierce Supporting Member

Jul 22, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Yep! My favorite is, "That's a big cello for such a little lady." As if I went cello shopping and said, "Ah, yes. The biggest one, please, so I can amuse strangers."

okcrum, J_Bass, matt holt and 11 others like this.
  15. Violin+Bass4life

Violin+Bass4life Commercial User

Nov 26, 2015
    All the time. Kids tell me it's a cello. Many people ask the weirdest questions.

rolandm likes this.
  16. samson3382

samson3382

Apr 26, 2009
    Boise, Idaho
    Cello all the time. Once a giant ukulele.

rolandm likes this.
  17. bigshiny

bigshiny Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2010
    St Louis MO
    Cello? Ya, all the time. Once a lady asked me what my instrument was called. When told her "A Bass." she then asked "So then what is a Tuba?".

bopeuph and rolandm like this.
  18. lol ... yes, I have had the cello reference a number of times. My bass is a 3/4. Maybe with a 4/4 this wouldn't happen. Or maybe it would.

bopeuph and rolandm like this.
  19. BobKay

BobKay Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2012
    Estero, Florida; USA
    11 weeks in a row is my record at my regular Friday night bar gig. But best one ever was last year when a listener told me her nephew was learning to play the same instrument - "it's a bassoon, right?"

rolandm likes this.
  20. bopeuph

bopeuph

Jul 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Almost every gig, or when I'm carrying it around...or pretty much whenever it's out in public with me.

My favorite are the kids that look at it all interested, and the well-meaning mother says "that's a cello!"

Have a friend that this happened to on the subway. He said "really? You're joking, right? No! It's a double bass!"

That woman broke down crying, telling him he didn't have to be so mean about it. Still one of my favorite stories.