Half and half

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Delfender, Oct 30, 2004.

1. Hi People.

Could anyone out there help me? I'm trying to remember a bass guitar builder that was about in the 1980's. I can't find anything online so I'm turning to you for help. I think their name was Wilkes or Wilkies. They made a bass that was half fretted and half fretless. The E and A strings were fretted and the D and G were fretless with lines. Does anybody out there have a clue who this builder was and are they still on the go?

2. There is some one still building a half and half but the picture I saw looked like the 12th fret up was fretless on all strings. I saw the ad in a Bass Player or Bass Guitar magazine in the last 6 months. I did a quick search in my archives, but didn't come across it. Try a Google search and see what you come up with.

3. Hi

I have had a quick look at the web sites and Bddy one was closer to what I was looking for. Nice idea they have but it was a 4 string I had in mind. I can't find anything online myself which I find strange, somebody must have one. I recall they also made a fretless bass, that had a metal plate at the very top of the neck for playing slap and it wouldn't ruin the neck.

4. smakbass

smakbass Smakkin basses for 25 years..

Aug 6, 2002
    Vancouver Canada
    Larivee made a bass like this for awhile I believe Steve Bailey endorsed it.
  5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    last year i saw a small builder at a guitar show that had basses similar to browns but they were only fretted to about the 5th fret or so - pretty cool
  6. JDGA fan

JDGA fan

Oct 9, 2003
    The luthier you are thinking of is or was Wilkes Guitars run by Doug Wilkes. Doug's original company was based in Stoke-on-Trent in the UK, but I think Doug wound it up to concentrate on being a working musician. That said, I believe he has come off the road and started making basses again - there is someone on TB who had one made for him recently ("lewibassist" maybe?). Just do a search for Wilkes.