1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Halloween gig got cancelled

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by roccobladr, Oct 26, 2009.

1. roccobladr

roccobladr

Aug 17, 2009
    I'm so PO'd!! it was supposed to be a decent paying show and this newly renovated bar. i have been wanting to play an a-list show like this for so long, but our management told us that they canceled it due to the world series.

as a huge phillies fan, this is kinda bittersweet. i at least get to watch the phightins destroy the yankees, but we dont get 1000$ and get to have a fun night dressed up and playin on stage.

/rant

2. Mr.Phil

Mr.Phil

Apr 9, 2005
    Upstate NY
    Are you in a union band? You should be covered by a contract.

3. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize!

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    They picked your band for an important night. I would take this as a good sign you will probably get to play there in the near future.

4. Yeah, but it's super lame of them to drop the OP's band this close to the date. They'll never get another gig for that day this close to Halloween.

I'd be very suspicious of the management of a bar that keeps you on a leash like that... books you, and then drops you this soon to one of the biggest days of the year for a band. Lame.

If that happened to my band, I seriously doubt that we'd ever even consider playing at that venue ever again.

5. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    Halloween cancelled? That's a big night. You should have had a contract and a guarantee. Your manager is no manager if you did not. Give him the boot and find another ... hmmm ... does he have YOU under contract? That's even WORSE.

6. roccobladr

roccobladr

Aug 17, 2009
    we never signed anything. just kinda like a verbal agreement that we wont try to book shows with other agencies.

i can understand why they might not want live music that night, hell, even i would rather just watch the phils game! but it still just sucks.

7. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Whoever handles your booking should have gotten a replacement date the minute they cancelled. It sounds like they want you guys to play there. They're just figuring that the Series will already pack the place, and they don't need to hire a band. Don't burn your bridges. Call them up and get a replacement date.

8. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    When you get that replacement date, see if the owners will spring for a couple pitchers of beer that night as an apology while you watch the game. Good chance to do PR for the next date.

9. JackANSI

JackANSI

Sep 12, 2006
    PA
    Check their (the bar's) schedule.. I bet a band is going to be playing that night. Probably booked there by your management ;)

10. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I hear you, but as a Cubs fan, if they were in the World Series, I'd cancel my gig to watch it. I don't want to wait another 100 years for that to happen, although it's looking like that anyway.

11. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    From the bar owner's perspective it's a matter of being able to fill the house WITHOUT having to pay a band. I get it. But from the band's perspective, there are LOTS of Halloween gigs, and by accepting this one, their manager precluded them from getting any others. Because he had no contract with the bar owner he effectively screwed this band. Whatever transpires between the band and the bar is one thing, but they need to find another manager.

12. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA

THIS

my band works under contract and a cancelation this close to the show date , we would be paid in full... or be taking a trip to small claims court.