Hanewinckel Piccolo 7-string!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dave Grossman, Aug 4, 2005.

1. I've just put in my order for a new Hanewinckel Signature series Piccolo 7-string. Pete has a really wicked burl top that he's going to use. He's going to get me a pic as soon as he lays out the body on it.

That's the new Retro body style. It's not at his site yet ( http://www.hguitars.com/ ). It'll have a set neck. Bartolini pickups. Chrome hardware. The other woods, we haven't totally nailed down yet. I told Pete to pick what he thought was best. I've trusted his judgement in the past an he's never let me down. Oh yeah, it'll have lighted side-dots too!

It'll be tuned like my other 7-strings but an octave higher. BEADGCF

I'll post the new pics as I get them. Pete's going to try to have it done in time for NAMM.

2. wow! thats cool!
    isn't that tuning going to sound very similar to a 7 string guitar?
  3. I imagine it will be handy to have so much range in a piccolo. What will the scale length be?
  4. I imagine it won't as the scale length is probably going to be somewhere around 29"-30" I would think.
  5. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that. Yeah, it's a 30" scale length. I'll be using light-gauge GHS Progressives on it. An 080 on the low B string. Not sure what the high strings will be yet.

- Dave
  6. A guitar scale length is about 25 1/2" (for a strat). Having a 30" scale length will give me a much different tone. Also, the tuning will be straight fourths.

Pete and I are also discussing a 9-string fanned fret bass. That's going to require a lot more design work on my part. That one is probably about 18-24 months away. I probably won't start on that one for another year.

- Dave
  7. I can't wait!!! :D :)
  8. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Cool! Yeah, I was about to say (doubtful naysayer voice on) "A high F with a 34" scale? Bah! It'll never work!" (dnv off) :D
  9. Jean Baudin

Jean Baudin

Aug 27, 2003
    redwood city, ca
    Endorsing Artist: See Profile
    It needs a whammy bar and a hot pink paintjob.
  10. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
  11. I will be! Nothing makes a $300 burl top shine like a few layers of opaque pink. :D

- Dave
  12. Just got a preliminary pic of my top wood:

Ever see purple wood before? :D

- Dave

13. Wow!!! I've been growing that SAME top in a Tub of yogurt in my fridge since 1997! I can't wait to make it into a bass guitar! :D

Seriously, I really dig it!
  14. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I'm pretty sure that's blue/gray and not purple.

And yes I have some wood with actual purple in it. ;) I think Carey Nordstrand has chestnut pieces with some wild colored streaks in them.

I bet the bass is gonna be awesome when it's finished. I like Pete's stuff quite a bit.
  15. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Dang, that is pretty, almost too pretty to cut (well, not really ;) )
  16. That bass is gonna be SEXY
  17. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Your top wood is full of holes. :D
  18. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Excellent top, Dave! :hyper: ;)

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Nice, whats your build time?
  20. Pete is going to try to have it ready for NAMM in January. So, about 5 months. That's tentative though.

- Dave