Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hanewinckel Piccolo 7-string!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dave Grossman, Aug 4, 2005.

1. I've just put in my order for a new Hanewinckel Signature series Piccolo 7-string. Pete has a really wicked burl top that he's going to use. He's going to get me a pic as soon as he lays out the body on it.

[​IMG]

That's the new Retro body style. It's not at his site yet ( http://www.hguitars.com/ ). It'll have a set neck. Bartolini pickups. Chrome hardware. The other woods, we haven't totally nailed down yet. I told Pete to pick what he thought was best. I've trusted his judgement in the past an he's never let me down. Oh yeah, it'll have lighted side-dots too!

It'll be tuned like my other 7-strings but an octave higher. BEADGCF

I'll post the new pics as I get them. Pete's going to try to have it done in time for NAMM.

:D

Dave

2. wow! thats cool!
    isn't that tuning going to sound very similar to a 7 string guitar?

3. I imagine it will be handy to have so much range in a piccolo. What will the scale length be?

4. I imagine it won't as the scale length is probably going to be somewhere around 29"-30" I would think.

5. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that. Yeah, it's a 30" scale length. I'll be using light-gauge GHS Progressives on it. An 080 on the low B string. Not sure what the high strings will be yet.

- Dave

6. A guitar scale length is about 25 1/2" (for a strat). Having a 30" scale length will give me a much different tone. Also, the tuning will be straight fourths.

Pete and I are also discussing a 9-string fanned fret bass. That's going to require a lot more design work on my part. That one is probably about 18-24 months away. I probably won't start on that one for another year.

- Dave

7. I can't wait!!! :D :)

8. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Cool! Yeah, I was about to say (doubtful naysayer voice on) "A high F with a 34" scale? Bah! It'll never work!" (dnv off) :D

9. Jean Baudin

Jean Baudin

Aug 27, 2003
    redwood city, ca
    Endorsing Artist: See Profile
    It needs a whammy bar and a hot pink paintjob.

10. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    :D

11. I will be! Nothing makes a $300 burl top shine like a few layers of opaque pink. :D

- Dave

12. Just got a preliminary pic of my top wood:

[​IMG]

Ever see purple wood before? :D

- Dave

13. Wow!!! I've been growing that SAME top in a Tub of yogurt in my fridge since 1997! I can't wait to make it into a bass guitar! :D

Seriously, I really dig it!

14. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I'm pretty sure that's blue/gray and not purple.

And yes I have some wood with actual purple in it. ;) I think Carey Nordstrand has chestnut pieces with some wild colored streaks in them.

I bet the bass is gonna be awesome when it's finished. I like Pete's stuff quite a bit.

15. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Dang, that is pretty, almost too pretty to cut (well, not really ;) )

16. That bass is gonna be SEXY

17. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    Your top wood is full of holes. :D

18. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Excellent top, Dave! :hyper: ;)

19. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Nice, whats your build time?

20. Pete is going to try to have it ready for NAMM in January. So, about 5 months. That's tentative though.

- Dave