1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hard Drive Camcorder Recommendations

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by TrooperFarva, Jul 29, 2007.

1. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    I read through a couple of threads on the subject here, but I decided to start a new thread to address a few questions I have.

I have an iMac with iDVD and iMovie. I've been looking at Hard Drive Camcorders recently. I'd like to use it for regular camcorder duty, family stuff, etc, but I'd also like to use it to create short movies. Is the 'movie look' something the camcorder does, or is it something I can create in post production? By 'movie look' I mean just that, it looks like a movie, and not something a guy shot with a camcorder. If it can be done in post-production, does anyone know of any good tutorials showing how to do such a thing?

I'm also looking for Hard Drive camcorder recommendations. Right now, I'm looking at the Sony DCR-SR42 and DCR-SR62. Does anyone have any opinions on those, or any other recommendations on hard drive camcorders in the $500-600 range? Thanks.

2. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    Ok, I've done a fair bit of research into this over the past few days. It seems as though Hard Drive Camcorders use compression that isn't readily compatible with iMovie, and also has a big impact on image quality. I'm looking at the Canon HV20 now, because it is supposed to have great image quality and can record in 24p. Any opinions on the Canon?

3. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY