Hard Luck Kings Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Passive Jay, Nov 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Passive Jay

Passive Jay

Aug 17, 2012
    Well, I know at least one other person on here has a HLK bass and at least one other person ordered one recently so lets do this!

HLK only sells one model of bass at a time so I think all of us that recently bought a bass from them have the same one, but they have done other models in the past so if anyone has one of those post them!

Here is my Kustom 8 Bombshell bass

View attachment 2809963

uM6fljr.jpg

AK3BvYp.jpg

2. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

They didn't send you enough HLK stickers :woot:

cazclocker and OldFunBass like this.
  3. Passive Jay

Passive Jay

Aug 17, 2012
    Here are some of the basses they have made in the past.

T1BCimC.jpg

MoMFCpv.jpg

SZHsNQE.jpg

4. Passive Jay

Passive Jay

Aug 17, 2012
    for those that can not read the headstocks those basses are called the wolf, big daddy, and spider.

5. Passive Jay

Passive Jay

Aug 17, 2012
    damn, the other guy I know that has one of these never answered my PM asking him some questions... oh well.

6. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 15, 2003
    Vegas
    I got my Bombshell the other day, just like Jay's. I can send pics in a little bit, but it's of course identical.

I am torn about it! It looks awesome! But mine is a stout 10lb 11oz on my digital postal scale, and I already have trouble wielding the 10lb Lindert P I also have. Additionally, the strings are about a mile off the deck, so it needs serious adjusting, which I am admittedly not *fantastic* at doing.

So my dilemma now is do I go get new strings and set it up to see if I can deal with the weight? or do I just return it? I don't *need* it, I don't need a 5-string at all 99.9% of the time.

I would dig it if they made a shortscale Spider in this same color though.

7. DDXdesign

Oct 15, 2003
    Vegas
    Here you go, a quick photo of the Bombshell alongside my other two. Really is a looker, but yyyyeah it’s a beast to hoist.

2BFC2240-F9A0-4632-AB6B-7ECF59119A3B.jpeg

JdFastMother and Spidey2112 like this.
  8. Passive Jay

Passive Jay

Aug 17, 2012
    nice, i was wondering if you had got it yet!

As a novice I dont really know about stuff like the set up, so i dont know how mine is, do you think it would be a good idea to take it to guitar center and ask them to take a look at it?

9. Passive Jay

Passive Jay

Aug 17, 2012

10. Just got the last one off the site (clearance section). It's the green Bombshell too, but has a purple neck and headstock. I did extensive research and saw reviews (watched your vids too) so I was expecting a few flaws, but I must say - this thing is a pretty big disappointment. Their "$153 fret job" left me with several un-crowned frets, buzzes all over the board, the nut is frayed and shredded plastic, the clover head of the tuning gears are loose and rattle, and the tuning peg holes were all drilled about 1/8" to far to the treble side so there's a severe string-break angle off the nut. Not good. The best part is: they don't respond to emails! Been waiting over a week.

The pros: The electronics actually sound decent and the body is almost perfect. So, I guess I ended up with a $200 loaded body. Just have to scour the classifieds for a new neck.

11. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Ohio
    Dude I love the Lindert!

DDXdesign and Spidey2112 like this.
  12. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
  13. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    :thumbsup:

14. DDXdesign

Oct 15, 2003
    Vegas
    Sorry I didn't catch this post. I actually returned the Bombshell as it was just too dang heavy. But as for setup, I wouldn't do it at guitar center; find a local shop with a good reputation, and/or learn to do it yourself (I know how but I am not good at it, so I take it to the bass guy at one of the local shops)

Thanks! Bought it from a TBer and I love it, but keep thinking of selling it because it's heavy. Not as heavy as the Bombshell was though! Whoof, I think that one was 11lb+

15. Passive Jay

Passive Jay

Aug 17, 2012
    that is so weird, i weighed mine and it weighed between 9.2 and 9.4lbs

2ZHVLp8.jpg

16. Passive Jay

Passive Jay

Aug 17, 2012

Dude, i am sorry to hear that. I dont really know much about bass stuff but as far as I know I did not have any of those issues and the guy that did my set up did not mention anything like that.

The thing that bothers me the most is that you say they are not responding to emails. poopie happens and they could have shipped a bad bass but I have been hyping this company pretty hard on social media since I got mine so it bothers me a lot to hear their customer service is failing you.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  17. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    It blows, dude... agreed! I hope you get some sort of resolve, but if you don't, look on it as a great learning experience to do the work yourself... a little bit of time and research, (and a few simple tools) goes a long way into fixing it yourself... you might pleasantly surprise yourself, you never know...

18. Passive Jay

Passive Jay

Aug 17, 2012

yeah I hope it gets resolved one way or another, I want more people to be in our little cheap ass bass club.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  19. A buddy of mine has that Tbird style in the green color. I played it some when putting some bass down on a track and it was nice. I had a time dialing in "my tone" with it, but I didnt have my rig either so cant really blame the bass for that. I liked it. Felt solid and well made. I just cant handle that particular shade of green. Given the right one, I would probably buy one.

BnB

20. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Matte black 5 string Jazz, $130

Now's the time to try out a 5er!

SHOW - BASS

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021