Hardcore Boston fan club

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by onewebfoot, Jun 2, 2009.

1. So who here is a hardcore fan of Boston - any era? Yes - they've been plagued with legal persecution. Yes - they've been hit heavily with tragedy, particularly with the death of Bradley Delp (vocalist). But who is a fan of Boston, and what are your favorite works? For me, it would have to be the original album, to which I listened endlessly in my parent's house with about 4 friends, repeatedly without end back in high school within a year of its release, and the Walk On sequence with Fran on vocals in a later album, many years later when I was overseas. Just listening to all of it now, and can't hold back from saying something appreciative.

2. its really sad now, im playing hardcore punk in the boston area and getting the worst reactions ever. If your not a dropkick murphys rip-off your not welcome in the area. Irish punk has been done to death in boston and i hope the old hardcore side pops up again.

3. I guess the hardcore definition depends on generation, but your post fascinates. Welcome from the west coast. please continue.

4. southernrocker

southernrocker Inactive

Apr 4, 2009
    ^ huh? the band, not the city!

My favorite is the second album. I love don't look back, what a kickass song.

5. lorenk

lorenk

Apr 8, 2008
    Bend, Oregon
    oooh lol and here i was in the same boat as notforrobots...damn! ah well...

6. please speak to the hardcore Boston punk scene if wanted. Seriously. the thread title is ambiguous. (I'm a former housemate of one member of Social Distortion on west coast here.) are murphys rip-offs the only music scene that gets attention in Boston nowadays?

7. lol wow i missed that one

8. I used to live in Providence and most of the hardcore bands that played there were from eastern Mass/Boston area; xFilesx, Bane, Backstabbers, Inc., Bane, Sex Positions. But everytime I went up to the city I got a sense that there wasn't really much in the way of hardcore shows going on.

9. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    Slapshot! Jerry's Kids! SSD! DYS! The Channel! The Rat! Taang Records!

10. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Commercial User

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder/Owner: Wing Instruments
    Boston's first album always did it for me. Nowadays, I hear that Tom Scholtz and the drummer are playing with some guy who pays them to play in his band... and for whatever reason they can't play Boston tunes.

11. LOL there are so many confused metalheads in this thread.

12. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

To me, "More Than A Feeling" is the best power ballad ever. Besides, Tom Scholz' guitar tone on power chords is one of the best ever for my taste. Plus, I also love his "100% analog" policy. I think all of the above make me a hardcore Boston fan.

13. Yup, hard core Boston fan here. Their first album is a "desert island" album for me. (For those that don't know, that means that if I was stuck on a desereted island and had to choose three records I would be able to listen to, etc...)
    I was fortunate enough to see them a couple of years ago with Brad Delp and really enjoyed the show.
    The 2nd album was ok, the third and fourth? kinda self indulgent for me.
    I alwyas thought Fran was a great classey bass player.
    FIshheadjoe

14. Greyvagabond

Greyvagabond

Aug 17, 2007
    LONG LIVE THE RAT!!!

And yes, I know this thread is about the band Boston. They are about 10% as cool as Gang Green.

15. please dont call hardcore, metal

16. I'm a very hardcore Boston fan. Mainly their first album, as it was simply incredible. Every vocal you hear on that is Brad's (rest his soul). Amazing vocalist and seemingly amazing person. I remember the day he died (March 9th, '07). I think I got a little teary eyed when I read the specifics. So sad. :(
    For all Boston or Brad fans, be sure and check out his solo stuff in RTZ with other Boston member Barry Goudreau. Great stuff as well. That being said, I am NOT a Tom Sholz fan. At all. He comes across as a spotlight hungry dictator, and I just never liked him whatsoever. This sounds incredibly callous to say, but I don't see him (IMO) as caring one bit about Brad's untimely death. Even when I saw them live, it was like he walked all over everyone just to be "the guy" in the spotlight.

17. lorenk

lorenk

Apr 8, 2008
    Bend, Oregon
    +1

hardcore doesn't equal metal

18. dalkowski

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    +1.

19. dalkowski

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    The pedal AND the club. And Mitch. And Mr. Butch. Kenmore Square makes me so sad nowadays...

20. dalkowski

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    Yeah, but gotta give props to the first LP.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021