1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Has anyone drank absinthe?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by KingOvHell, Sep 23, 2008.

1. me and my friend are considering trying it and was wondering if it is any different then being drunk or high. It is pretty expensive and dont want to buy it if its not gonna do something wacky to me.

2. Mike Money

Mike Money In Memoriam

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Yes.

It was kind of a stoney drunk.
    I was probably feeling a placebo affect, though. We bought it in LA, and pretty sure they only had it because they took out the active ingredients to make it legal for sale in the US.

3. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Nah, just drunk, really drunk.

4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Getting high off absinthe is a myth. You'd get alcohol poisoning before you'd even begin to feel the effects of the wormwood.

5. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Its pretty good... But its just drunk...

6. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    Absinthe is a pretty cost ineffective way to get drunk (and that's all it will do). Unless you like Jaeger, you will probably not like absinthe.

7. DudeistMonk

DudeistMonk

Apr 13, 2008
    Newark, NJ
    My drummer recently started buying this stuff...I had a glass once we got down to jamming at the end of the night. It tastes like sambuca(sp) and it gets you drunk, he describes it as a "clear headed" drunk. I would agree based on the one glass I had, but I would have to do more testing to fully confirm. Its like the difference between a wine drunk and a light beer drunk.

8. The active substance, Artemisia Absinthium, is no longer present in any larger dose and since that, absinthe today is nothing more than just another apertif.

D.Don

9. I have about 15 different varieties. It's all I drink these days. Good absinthe is not cheap. Cheap absinthe sold in the USA is not absinthe ;) Most of mine was brought into the US from customers coming from europe. I can tell most of the people posting in this thread no little or NOTHING about it :eyebrow:

The real deal absinthe is now legal in the USA and there are some small companies that are starting to make the good stuff. Other than that, you need to have an overseas connection or buy online.

Oooooooooreally?? :eyebrow: Next time you're in Florida, we need to have a drink ;) I have some stuff that will turn you into a smiling, laughing idiot in no time :D

10. just drunk, badly drunk. At 76% alcohol, only a couple shooters is often enough.

oh it was the cheap stuff

Never really tried the real stuff (from Greece or France)

11. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'm with Ben here...

But I do love Jaeger. It's the only liquor I'll really drink anymore.

12. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Jaegers good stuff. I'll have to try some absinthe one day.

13. jucas

jucas

Dec 14, 2003
    Alberta
    I thought that was the plant and the chemical was thujone? Either way, I think that buying it locally (Canada, maybe the us) pretty much gets you a placebo effect, but have heard that the "real" stuff has enough thujone in it to make things interesting.

I dunno, I'm not above a placebo, but the first time or two I drank it, it seemed like a subtly different kind of drunk than I was used too. Clear headed was a good way to describe it.

14. SpankyPants

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    The power of suggestion is a lot stronger than you'd imagine.

For example, there were experiments done in which half of the sample was given gin & tonic, and the other half was just given tonic. They all started to act drunk, slurring their words, decreased motor functions, loosened inhibitions. Some of the sober ones were acting more drunk than the drunk ones who were drunk 'cause they drank the alcohol that made 'em drunkt.

They really thought they were drunk, though. They even reported feeling all of the symptoms of intoxication.

15. The stuff that the liquor stores in the US sells is CRAP. It tastes like bad anisette. Some boutique liquor stores are selling the new american made stuff. There are laws against high thujone percentages but it's not a controlled substance. IMHO, the small companies that are making it domestically are bending the laws just a little. I don't feel clear headed, just happy and smiley :) The best thing is no matter how much I drink, I feel fine the next day.

16. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    No hangover then?

17. SpankyPants

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    So it sounds kind of like mushrooms to me, then.

18. quigg

quigg

Jul 27, 2008
    Norfolk, VA
    I thought it was meh, I may have had the weak stuff. I was in Europe at the time though. IMHO there are a lot more interesting things to try out there. It really is all down to personal preference.

19. quigg

quigg

Jul 27, 2008
    Norfolk, VA
    +1 to mushrooms, only you can sit still for more than 10 seconds at a time.