1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Has Mesa Walkabout design changed?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jdelemus, Jul 25, 2012.

1. jdelemus

jdelemus

Jun 27, 2012
    I was looking at one about 6 years ago I think the price was around $1000. Bought an Ampeg BA115HP because it was half the price. Wish I had bought the Mesa, the Ampeg has crapped out.

Current price of a walkabout is $1599! The Ampeg is still around same price I originally paid.

Is there a production justification for such a huge price increase?

2. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Built by hand, like a tank, in the USA, by people getting paid a living wage.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Worth every penny, and yes, there have been upgrades over the 6 yrs.

4. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA

Amen!

5. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    it was a big deal for me to be able to just drive my head 12 miles mesa to hollywood to get it checked out without any hassle at all, and the guys are great with advice and suggestions on the phone too

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Using Chinese parts ;)

7. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    ahh, the gentle but inevitable arrival of Mr. Goodnews. :D

all lomo said was:
    - built by hand (true)
    - built like a tank (true)
    - in the USA (true)
    - by people getting paid a living wage (true)

now I know those truthful points, along with the fact that the OP had the audacity to suggest that the Ampeg product he originally bought instead of the USA built Mesa Walkabout was perhaps inferior, has probably got your Ampeg support nerves all tingly, but I'm not sure why you would post your comment about Chinese parts (which we all know most manufacturers use in this modern world), other than to take a straight out dig.

just sayin' :cool:

8. pfschim

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    I think the original retail (which is what you pay for Mesa gear) was $1,299, so I don't think the price has gone up all that much considering, the modifications/improvements and inflation. IMO/IME, still well worth the price, but of course you have to decide that for yourself and your circumstances.

good luck

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Oh come on...you're comparing a budget combo to a high end solid state head. Even I'm not going to make that reach! OK, so maybe it was a little gratuitous, but with all due respect to the fine work Mesa does, and without trying to get political, being assembled in the USA is no guarantee that the Chinese parts will work any better than the Chinese parts assembled in China.

10. lburton2

lburton2 Les Is More

May 15, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    Jimmy is totally right. After all, those pre-teen Chinese laborers have such nimble fingers!!!!

11. The issue I've always run across with Chinese parts is spotty QC. I would feel much more confident in the identical part in a Mesa product as compared to an assembled in China product.

I do not own a Mesa product but am considering buying the Walkabout.

12. pfschim

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    as your're quite fond of saying .. we'll have to agree to disagree on this point. :D

Not going political on this point either, but thoughtful designs, populated with carefully selected and sourced electronic parts, that are hand assembled and tested by workers who are well compensated, along with the more focused QC that smaller mfg runs allow (as in Mesa's case), will reasonably result in better built products.

heck, even Ampeg understands this and as a result that's how they handle their Heritage series amps (if I am not mistaken).

desperate, burnt out, workers ain't jumping out of windows in Petaluma my friend. ;)

note: FWIW, the Walkabout is a hybrid amp, not a full SS one.

13. pfschim

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    any post that starts with this phrase, starts off badly. :D

14. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I hate you all!

:p

15. pfschim

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    Price of being a living legend. :)

16. jdelemus

jdelemus

Jun 27, 2012
    I'm pretty sure the first time I checked out one of these amps the price was $1099. $500 increase in just a few years is a considerable price increase...at least to me.

17. lomo

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Yeah- a Walkabout is pricey and if you need massive power it's not the ticket, but it sounds sweet, has a killer eq and IME is overbuilt. I have a combo and a separate head for use with other cabs....some of the most ear-pleasing gear I own.

Attached Files:

18. Mehve

Mehve

Jun 2, 2012
    Kitchener, ON
    In all fairness, some people try to use those points as a blank cheque to justify ANY price. And this amp has been out long enough that any of the start-up costs are almost certainly accounted for, which would actually lower their cost/unit, if only slightly.

The exact percentage is debatable, but certainly part of the reason for the price increase is simple capitalism - the demand for this amp is high (for good reason, granted). Thus, the market can support a higher retail price. Mesa would have to be insane not to allow themselves to benefit from that.

19. lomo

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal

Exactly. Neither Mesa nor any bass gear co is in biz as a public service. They do it for money, and this is a product that a lot of people are willing to pay top dollar for. However, my points are still relevant. It's not a matter of moral justification, but simply a list of attributes that are uncommon in the bass amp world that happen to appeal to me, and apparently others as well.

20. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    And yet, they offer a transferrable warranty - unlike Ampeg, which doesn't have enough confidence in their own products to do so...

- georgestrings