Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hate my job

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by mike_v_s, Mar 8, 2005.

1. I hate my job. I mean really hate it. I hate it with the burning intensity of two suns. If my job were a person, I'd push it into oncoming traffic.

I'm currently looking for another, so no need to offer that suggestion....just needed to vent.

Mike

2. Well, you could go out with a bang and quit with style, or you could actually have a job referral for your new job. You choose. I think there was a thread about great ways to quit your job not to long ago.

3. Haha... I wrote something like that in an email to my friend... something like "I couldn't feel any worse if I were run over by a road train."

Musicians are funny people. :smug:

4. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Mike, I completely feel you bro. I absolutely despise my job as well. The thing that really sucks for me is that i'm pretty much stuck :(

5. I'm stuck until something else comes my way...but that may be a while.

Mike

6. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Quit it. Thats what I did. I found another job, and I'm pretty sure I'll hate it, too.

7. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    EVERY job sucks, period. Otherwise, they wouldn't have to pay people in order to do it.

With that said, I hate my freaking job and can give you 100 reasons it sucks worse than probably most anyone else here.

I'm too actively seeking a new job as well. It seems like it is harder to find something now than it used to be. My work experiences are higher, and my standards certainly haven't raised since the last time I looked.

8. Me too... Since its not really the Current place that I hate, I've just grown to profoundly hate my profession...

Though its a pretty tough call to just up and quit it, as I do get pretty well paid as a programmer, but I HATE dealing with these people... blood suckers! I hate clients, I hate their technicians, I hate tech support, I hate corporate rules, I hate wearing a suit and tie and freezing in the winter and boiling in the summer, I keep thinking of how much happier I was with those simple **** paying jobs like working at a restaurant or something. and if I quit my "carreer" (I have 6 years experience) then Im back to square one... tough, tough call...

9. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Ooh, i'd be up for that challenge... but unfortunately, I have to go to work :bawl:

10. I'm lucky as I work for myself and it IS tough - and money-wise it definitely sucks sometimes - I especially LOVE doing my own taxes - BUT I don't have a boss breathing down my neck every minute of the day.

On the topic of doing jobs you hate - a freind of mine was in a very sh!tty job at a legal firm - he was never going to move up the ladder and he festered there for three years - all the time he could have been working on his music - so he finally quit. He now does solo cover gigs - he sings brilliantly and plays guitar, to homemade backingtracks - and he now earns double his daily rate of pay just for one gig. He also teaches guitar both privately and at a school and he's in a band that are getting close to being signed - did he do the right thing in leaving his job? Obviously yes - he's living back with his parents which is the one minus in this turn of events - but he does get on with them and they are very supportive - so it's not all that bad - but it's definitely a lesson in not wasting your time, and life, doing stuff you hate - purely for the money. I don't know how long I'll be doing what I do - a long time hopefully - but I know that there's always an alternative to doing a crappy, soul-destroying job - life's too short for that - good luck.

Mike

11. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I hear ya Mike. I hate my job more than words can describe. The BEST part is, I've been at it 20 years, so I CAN'T really do anything else and support my family. I'm stuck there for 7 1/2 more years with NO light at the end of the tunnel!

12. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I'm not liking my job so much either these days. Morale is really low, clientele are a bunch of..., etc. Lots of shifting around in management lately, though, so I'm giving it a chance to get better before I start looking for something else. Two of my co-workers quit without notice on Monday, and I was half-tempted to follow suit, but I need the paycheck.

13. Agreed. I accept your challenge. At the very least, I may feel better if you're right. I thought a while on how to guage this, so let's start with the tangible:

60-70 hours a week. Some at home, most in the office. The nature of the job means I'm never really off. My "clients" have my home phone and cell (this is neccessary).

Decent salary.....until you divide it into the number of hours and realize I made more per hour working construction.

Seen "Office Space"? We have our own version of TPS reports....no less than 9 of them (it varies depending on the month). I spend a bulk of my time tracking the work that I do for my supervisor. Odd, isn't it? In the time it takes to complete my "tracking sheets", I could be getting much more done.

I'll give you some time to respond. To clarify...I am a good employee. I've been promoted at every job I've held since 16 including this one, but this is truly a "what have you done for me TODAY" environment. Past success is erased at day's end. Thanks to everyone for listening (reading).

Mike

14. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I actually enjoy my job quite a bit. I voluntarily work double shifts and go in on my days off fairly often.

I know GC has a bad rep for being sleazy, but its all in the crew. We've had crew that has been crud and A+ crews and right now we've got an A- crew. Still not a bad place to shop or work.

It would be a great job if it werent for two A-holes at the store. One is definetly typical GC material according to what Ive read about GC on the boards, but we're not a typical GC and we want him out. Luckily between employee and customer reports we should be able to get this guy out of there fairly easily. The other one is the store manager and customers dont have to face him too often... Lucky for them.

15. ZonPlyr

ZonPlyr

Apr 29, 2003
    Pasadena, CA
    Same boat. I have had all life sucked out of me by this place. Crappy management, no direction or 2 years too late on decision making. Worst morale I have seen ever. No one likes being here but the job market is so bad here no one really wants to leave and take their chances. Most are just doing the absolute minimum to not get canned. No one cares about quality and management doesn't seem to even notice how bad it is.

I will never be promoted past my current position (i'm in management by the way) but have been told that I should get used to my desk because I will most likely have it until I leave or get fired. Add to this I have 2 young kids and my wife just lost her job so I'm kinda stuck right now. The pay isn't great but better than nothing. If I wasn't depressed before I sure am now. The only ray of sunshine right now is one of the bands i'm in is touring this summer so I'm using my vacation time to go play music. I get to play south by southwest next week and play just about every weekend. If it weren't for that I don't really know what i'd do.

16. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Hey Nick..I have a related GC question. Sorry to take the thread off topic...but, DO GC Managers take customer complaints seriously?

I sent an email to the manager of my local GC a few months ago, using the link provided on GC's website for contacing specific store managers, and never heard back from him. I was just letting him know that I was a customer who had bought two basses in the store
    in the less than a year they had been open, and came in one day to look around. I was doing so, and began to obviously look around for someone from the sales staff to talk turkey. One employee, walked past me, said hi, grabbed a bass and went over to one of the SWR amps, plugged in, and started a 5 minute tappa whacka slappa fest, Im sure to impress me, since I was the only customer in the area. He continued to play, ignoring me, as I stood there, until I walked out. I went on to describe the employee, etc., since he never bothered to give me his name.

As you implied, THIS is the type of behavior that gives some GC's a bad reputation. Just wondering if complaints like this are taken seriously by GC Management.

17. Allow me to hijack my own thread....same experience. I emal the national link, exchanged 2 emails, and was told I'd hear from the local manager. Still waiting 2 months later.

Back to work.

Mike

18. So this is what I have to look forward to after I finish university? Happy happy happy, joy joy joy.

19. Yes. And in case you still think that there is a good job with a 40 hour work week, you're wrong. I'm still waiting for Mr. Cole's response (come on.....pissing contests are great fun)

Mike

20. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    My job sucks. But you don't get paid for having fun. At least I don't..