1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hate waiting for the phone to ring with bad news

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by BassGuyFL, Aug 23, 2012.

1. BassGuyFL

BassGuyFL Formerly known as RichardCranium Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Boynton Bch FL
    Warning rant ahead:

Why is it so hard for people to be honest and upfront about your status? I have 2 situations and I have no idea what's going on now.

Situation 1. I have/had been playing in a Latin band which was also going to be a Santana tribute band as well. The singer BL is an old acquaintance and things have been going slowly but seemed ok. The BL asked me to post an ad on CL for an additional member to fill out the lineup so I did. We had set up Wednesday and Fridays at a local rehearsal studio. Rehearsal was cancelled at the last minute last Friday and haven't heard from anyone since. The drummer who is new called me yesterday wondering what was going on he was at the studio already I said I hadn't heard anything. Made some calls and no response.

Today I was posting some ads on CL for some gear and renewed the ad I posted and happened to notice another ad for a Santana tribute band looking for a bass player. Didn't give any contact info on the ad but I'm assuming it's to replace me. Given the other's silence and not returning several messages it's all I can assume.

Situation 2. I just missed out on a great gig before I left Texas a few weeks ago. They had hired someone already before I heard about it I said please keep me in mind if something happens.

Heard from them a couple of weeks ago and they said there was an opening and would I be interested and I said I sure would! It would be a traveling cover band based in Austin that also did originals which was perfect. They knew of me from my previous gig so I wasn't a stranger. Only issue is I would have to figure out how to get to Austin from Florida I'm pretty busted out for cash and sold my car a while ago. They said they could probably work on the transportation issue. I've called several times and have not really gotten any response. At this point I'd walk to there for this gig but I need to know if I'm in or not.

I just wanna have a steady gig and make some money is that too much to ask for?

Sorry for the rant just frustrated not knowing what's going on.

2. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    I don't think you have any options right now.

I would wait until you have your own transportation and look for an established working cover band, if you want to gig and make some money.

My answer is, yes. Under your current circumstance, low on cash and no realistic transportation your asking too much to be in a gigging band making money.

Blue

Blue

3. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    You're not. Trust me.

Not returning calls is amateur hour, but it's also an answer. You don't avoid talking to people you want to work with.

4. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    Not getting an answer... is an answer... and it generally means no.

People don't like to give bad news... so they usually don't give any news at all. This might not be the case with you, but I'd start anticipating your next actions with that in mind.

5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Move on. Been there. When I demanded communication, the conversation just pissed me off. I was better off just moving on!

6. R.C. you are wasting your time waiting for these clowns to respond. If you were IN, they would not dodge you. Boynton, or anyplace down here is next to impossible without a vehicle, which you will find out soon on your own.

7. All of the above, and it's the car thing. A BL doesn't want to have to worry for a second if a member can get himself/his gear to rehearsals and gigs. Just like a regular employer. Address that first. Good luck!

8. BassGuyFL

Mar 9, 2009
    Boynton Bch FL
    I lived most of my life down here and trust me I know. I racked up 150,000 miles on an old pickup driving all over South Florida to rehearsals and gigs there was hardly anything going on in Delray/Boynton that I wanted to do. The Latin BL lives a couple of miles away and he gave me rides. I've know the guy 20+ years he's even helped me out giving me a couple of days of pickup work too when his helper couldn't make it.

Advice for the day: never sell your car to buy gear for a band. You'll just end up with no car and trying to sell it for pennies on the dollar in Craigslist after the band falls apart. I just had to cancel going to meet someone just to make $30 because I have to walk to the CVS nearby to met them and it just started raining. Good ol' Florida summers. :mad:

9. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    Santana tribute? Lucky escape, mate! :)

10. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Wow... I honestly hope you are joking.

That is probably one of the worst decisions I have read on TB...

11. Yerf Dog

Yerf Dog

Jun 29, 2009
    Carol Stream, IL
    You should ask for an audition.

12. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    Do you really need to ask us any questions? If a band wants you they literally will knock the door down to get you. Man you're at the plate with two strikes.

13. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    burn the WELCOME mat!!!

14. As mentioned, I do not think anyone would be interested in you as a bass player if you have no car. That is too much baggage for most bands to want to take on.

15. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    To the OP.

Are you sure playing in a band should be a priority for you right now?

Blue

16. INTP

INTP

Nov 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Jake: What is this?
    Elwood: What?
    Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy, where's the Caddy?
    Elwood: The what?
    Jake: The Cadillac we used to have! The Bluesmobile!
    Elwood: I traded it.
    Jake: You traded the Bluesmobile for this?!
    Elwood: No... for a microphone.
    Jake: A microphone? Okay, I can see that.

17. BassGuyFL

Mar 9, 2009
    Boynton Bch FL
    Blue playing is the only thing keeping me sane right now.

18. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Well, you can play without being in a band.

From what you described it seems like it would be difficult to be in a band, a gigging band without wheels.

19. RNV

RNV

Apr 13, 2010
    Loxahatchee, Fl
    fEARful (I endorse them, not visa versa)
    Tri-rail is only going to get you so far man. Let me know if I can ever give you a hand. I'm in PBC too, just north of Wellington.

20. imustscream

imustscream

Feb 21, 2012
    I think i saw that ad on cl. Then someone did a response post insulting the original ad. S.Fla is brutal with the Craigslist wars. Anyway it could be a different santana tribute. Best way to know is to contact them with a covert email pretending to be someine else wanting an audition