Have you ever been fired from a band?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by geof_, May 16, 2020.

1. Yes.

2. No.

3. Carrots.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. geof_

geof_

Apr 25, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    I was fired once after just one show. It was a blessing in disguise as the band went through 100 other members after that.

Mr_Moo, rickwebb and jamro217 like this.
  2. geof_

geof_

Apr 25, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    jamro217 likes this.
  3. stigbeve

stigbeve

Sep 24, 2014
    Singer was the BL and had delusions of grandeur thinking our power metal band from Sacramento was going to take over the world.

My wife and I had just had our 3rd child so me showing up on time for our designated 2 hour practice and leaving after 2 hours somehow translated in to me not being in to the band. Not my fault if the other guy(s) were late, I still need to leave after the 2 hours that we have all agreed upon.

A few years later the bass player quit and they asked me back. They all said it was stupid of them to fire me so that felt good. We had a run of about 5 more years.

Mr_Moo, design, equill and 3 others like this.
  4. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    not yet...i've been replaced through attrition from being in too many bands, though. maybe i should've voted carrots.

jamro217 and geof_ like this.
  5. I've been in the same band for nearly 20 years, we've put out records (gigged when viable) - haven't made any money or seen any notable "success" with it but always get decent feedback when we play out live, and the album reviews have been fairly positive to date when we receive them.

In playing around various scenes over the last two decades - what I have noticed is that most bands typically have an average 1-3 year lifespan on the local level, and mostly they seem to operate with a single lead member. For us we have always approached every decision (gear purchases, song writing, shows, etc.) with equal input - and this has really been what has kept it together so far.

Where as many good sounding bands we have played with over the years have dissolved. Mostly I think it comes down to life commitments, but on the few really outstanding acts I have seen I do think that ego may have played a part.

Of course there are bands with musicians who aren't all on equal footing as far as skill goes - and cover bands are a whole different kettle of fish susceptible to revolving door members. But I think that when a band "fires" someone - outside of the instances where it is actually due to skill or a mismatch of style, it is usually a sign of an ego issue within the group dynamic (whether it be the ego of the member(s) who is/are firing the member, or the person getting fired) - and likely it could have been avoided if all band members realized they are part of a collective and not a singular entity (this requires having a thick skin between each other as far as having ideas rejected, because it does happen).

6. geof_

geof_

Apr 25, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Too many carrots.

7. geof_

geof_

Apr 25, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Glad you guys found a formula that works for you. The business of art is a tricky thing.

jdh3000 and SimonSays32 like this.
  8. JTE

JTE Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Got fired ca. 1979 because ( among other things) "bass players shouldn't play chords. I replied "Well, I figured SOMEONE should play the right one once in a while".

Attitude had nothing to do with getting canned.

9. No I haven’t. I have always been the person who either arranged to get members together, or personally hired them for someone else. Or in the case of my own bands, the leader. So I have always done hiring and firing. (Which I’ve found to be a job that no one else liked doing, nor wanted). I have been in a few bands that kind of just fell apart.

In reference to some of the statements by others above:
    I come at it from a different angle than many people on TalkBass, I guess. I have never done anything besides working as a professional musician. Nothing else ever came first. Nor was anything else ever used as a reason not to give 100% of my time and effort to bands. I’ve always felt like I should be responsible to run things from a business perspective. Be it band members, equipment, contracts and legal matters, hiring, firing etc,. That being said, I am not a “lone wolf”. One or two people can’t do everything. I like to hire the right professionals to do other jobs, so I don’t have to. You need management, and crew members. I have come across MANY people who either realized they did not want to do this professionally, or just did not want the responsibility it requires.

Last edited: May 16, 2020
    Erik Asma, Mr_Moo, dbsfgyd1 and 3 others like this.
  10. Dr. Keebs

Dr. Keebs Bassmaster General

Jan 9, 2016
    Montana
    Resigned, yes. Threatened with dismissal, yes. Fired, no.

jamro217 likes this.
  11. JW56789

JW56789 Guest

Feb 18, 2017
    MY first band, I was in with all veteran players, and I was the rookie. What I didn't realize was that all I was really doing was place-holding until the guy the really wanted came free from a commitment he was in. I was good enough that they got hired for a big, good-paying gig, and I held it down for 8 months until their guy was ready to come in. Adios, JW.

At least they got theirs: A couple of them were casual consumers of adult beverages and some reefer. When he showed up, it turned into party time all the time, big time . . . . and come to find out most of them weren't professional drunk stoners like their buddy, and after lateness, too long breaks, the usual things that happen when the professionalism slides as substance abuse ratchets up, they got kicked out of the gig (the nicest place in town with the best crowd and the best pay) in two months flat.

Then one of them called me to see if there was a place on my new gig! If only he'd come to me and asked me face to face . . . . . . I'd have leveled him.

Mr_Moo, IamGroot and Blueinred like this.
  12. geof_

geof_

Apr 25, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    I’m curious if you’re doing originals or covers.

janesaid likes this.
  13. roccobass

roccobass Still funkin’ in the free world.

Jun 25, 2014
    California
    Not fired ever.
    The closest was once. Was in a 3 piece just getting started doing somewhat progressive rock. It was the old bait and switch that I was oh so familiar with. I failed to show unwavering devotion to all of the guitarists’ originals he had from another group he had down south. I only liked about half of of them and said so. His megalomania went so far as to wanting to call us the same band name. I disputed that too.Consequently,
    he lobbied the drummer that I was not very good and that I “needed” to up my game or else. I told them they needed a new bass player and ended my association with them. In 45 years of playing that was the weirdest experience. Funny, thing. About 6 months later, I get a call from the same drummer wanting to start a new trio with a different guitarist. Wouldn’t give any details on why or what happened to the other guitarist. Well, I passed on his offer.

It happens to all of us in some shape or another. Just got to keep playing and moving on.

Last edited: May 17, 2020
  14. geof_

geof_

Apr 25, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Probably the right call.

15. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    The only time I was "fired" was when the person running the gig fired the entire band, then got himself fired by the venue. I was back on the gig the next week, with the remaining band members and a replacement for the guy who fired us.

16. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    Ever since my first band in high school in 1986, I've taken an active role in vetting any prospective bands and their members that I'm contemplating joining. On the few occasions when I've started my own band I've been even more picky about who joins.

As a result, I've had relatively few instances where internal conflicts were significant enough to either get me fired or to cause me to fire another member.

Really the only exceptions to this were several examples of members losing control of alcohol or drugs.

17. I’ve have done both.

geof_ likes this.
  18. roccobass

roccobass Still funkin’ in the free world.

Jun 25, 2014
    California
    Besides him being two faced, he had other issues. Yeah, I was more than done. Trust me, this situation was a bit more extensive than I’m letting on. Didn’t want to write a biblical epic on the it. Just the main points.

Last edited: May 16, 2020
  19. Actually fired, no. Got so disgruntled if I didn't walk there would have been mayhem, yes. As hard as you try to remain respectful and considerate of your bandmates there is a line of reciprocity that exists. I resent being taken advantage of, especially by those who are unwilling and/or unable to put in the same amount of effort than they demand from the rest of the group. Divas and hacks aren't easy to tolerate on good days but when the :poop: hits the fan they really become a nuisance. Better not to join company with them in the first place. Once politics rears its hideous head in a band situation things tend to go downhill at an alarming rate. Being on tour when the drama begins can be disastrous. If you are a member of a symphony you may not like the flautist or the second violin but you aren't in the same close relationship as you would be in a quintet. The personal dynamics grow exponentially the smaller the group. If Cream was an octet they might have stayed together.

20. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Bayside, New York
    I was fired from the same band on two different occasions. First time for complaining to them about the fact that they went out and purchased a really expensive PA system on credit from Sam Ash for 25% interest without consulting band members... There were so many better options and the payments were coming off the top of the shows..
    A few years later I rejoined them and after about one year they fired me and the guitar player because we were doing side projects. The band leader would never hire subs. But I had a good time while playing with still communicate with some of the guys.

Mr_Moo, Ross W. Lovell and jamro217 like this.