Have you ever NEEDED a backup amp? VOTE!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by birminghambass, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Yes

152 vote(s)
    28.8%
  2. No

322 vote(s)
    61.0%
  3. No carrots option, sorry.

18 vote(s)
    3.4%
  4. I would NEVER gig without a backup amp!

69 vote(s)
    13.1%
  5. I don't need a backup amp!

28 vote(s)
    5.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    Hey TB, I sometimes see threads about TBers asking "which backup amp" they should buy. I see people with 750-1000w, top of the line amps who want to spend a ton of money on another high-wattage expensive amp just to keep it in a gigbag. I understand if bass is your living but I usually see this in weekend warriors or people who play in church. Is this just a reason to buy more gear? I get that, but is it more about different flavors or the actual NEED for a backup? In 24 years of playing, several hundred (over 1000? ) gigs, I've never once NEEDED a backup amp. One time I had issues with a backline amp so I used my Sansamp to FOH, worked great. I have had many bass issues, and needed my second bass, but never an amp failure. So go vote and then let us know the situation that caused you to use your backup.

ThinCrappyTone and pudgychef like this.
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Carrots!

saabfender likes this.
  3. I've been playing for over 50 years now and so far have never needed a back up amp. That said , I always have my trusty Peavey Mark 6 is the back of the truck.

4. I let out a little magic smoke at a recording session and used engineer's gear instead. No gig failures.

I have pleny of amps but don't carry a spare to shows. If one day I wind up relying on house sound and it blows I might change my mind.

saabfender and theduke1 like this.
  5. BassAndReeds

BassAndReeds

Oct 7, 2016
    I had an amp overheat at last song of a set. But was fine next set. I’ve since switched amps.

packhowitzer likes this.
  6. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Amps? Nope.

Blown cabs? Yep, quite a few times, but all decades ago when my playing situations were much different.

7. Twice in 40 years. Blew a speaker in a cab on the road, used a spare monitor. Broken input jack on the old 800rb and had to go direct. Now my "spare amp" is a Sansamp BDDI. Used it as a DI, but never had another emergency yet.

8. Yes I have had an amp go down. Sounded fine at soundcheck, only to start farting out right before show. Thank goodness I always carry an extra amp. We ran in ears, so it wouldn’t have killed the show, but it’s nice to have a bit of amp behind you to fill out the stage a bit.

The amp in question had a cold solder joint that was easy to repair, but nothing that could be done at the show.

9. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    No need - There is always some spare amp or PA/keyboard channel available.

If you are the type that carries a backup, don't be the type that never checks if their backup amp is actually working.

Ric Vice, DukeCC, Aqualung60 and 2 others like this.
  10. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    CA
    I had a brand new amp give up the magic smoke a few songs into its first gig. Within 180 seconds, I had my backup amp ready for the next song. That's only once out of countless gigs but the old saying is "it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it."

11. jamzcl

jamzcl

Jul 21, 2004
    Des Moines, IA USA
    I have a backup head but don't always bring it. I DO have a pre-amp with a DI out and an external DI to go to the board if that should ever happen though.

So the show should be able to go on unless I have a triple failure.

GroovyBaby likes this.
  12. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    The only gear failures I've had at gigs were amps. In other words, maybe 3 failures in 30 years of weekend warrior work. I've never even broken a string. One time, I fixed it by exercising the effects loop jacks. Another time, it was a broken power switch.

I have a bag with a complete amp setup, including a spare MB200 head and all of the cables that I need. I just throw it in the car and leave it there during the gig.

At some gigs, I'm playing the only amplified instrument, so I have to be self sufficient.

13. seamus bass

seamus bass

Oct 23, 2007
    my house
    im using my back up amp for biamping lol

Artman likes this.
  14. joel406

joel406 Suspended

Dec 27, 2013
    Florida
    I have a Mesa D-800+ and a GK MBF-800.

I think I’m fine.

ELG60 likes this.
  15. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    I have once in 40+ years.
    Just last year my MB LM3 blew the fuse 1 minute into soundcheck prior to the gig.
    I replaced the fuse and the new fuse blew within 60 sec. Had to run thru the monitors via DI that night and it wasn't nearly as good a stage sound as I'd liked. The other band members didn't mind, but the drummer couldn't hear the bass and I had a hard time hearing too. The venue had 12" wedges, which didn't help much.

Next day I put in a new fuse at home and it blew within 60 sec. The amp had been repaired at my expense earlier in the year to have the vol & tone pot assembly replaced and I wasn't about to put more money into it. So I sold the LM3 on Ebay for parts/repair and moved on.

Haven't replaced it yet but I do need to get a light weight amp that fills that hole in my gear inventory sometime soon.

16. saabfender

saabfender Inactive

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I dare not tempt the fates by having a second in the car.

17. BurnOut

BurnOut It's The Billy Baloney Show In Memoriam

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    Once when I was using a backline, luckily I had my head with me.

18. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    I said yes, but it was not an instrument amp, it was the main amp for the PA. We were able to borrow another amp from a band that was playing down the street so it didn't stop the show, we were just late getting started.

19. el jeffe bass

el jeffe bass

Nov 22, 2013
    New Mexico
    Back when I played gigs I had an SWR combo shoot craps. I only used it for my Azola baby bass so I switched to my bass guitar. I used to ALWAYS have a Crate power block amp in my truck in case I needed a back up.

20. KaseOfBass

KaseOfBass Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: GHS Strings
    I've been playing bass for 27 years. I needed a backup amp once last year (ended up just going direct). Backup bass just once, too, also last year (I normally bring two basses). Neither stopped the show as the problems presented themselves during sound check.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 21, 2022