1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Have you ever seen a bad Yamaha bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by allexcosta, Sep 8, 2008.

1. allexcosta

allexcosta

Apr 7, 2004
    Even their entry basses... I've never seen a bad one, have you? It seems that their QC is quite good.

2. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    The cheaper ones yes.

Sharp frets and such.

3. sandman

sandman

Apr 13, 2004
    Melbourne
    not what they used to be (the cheapies, anyway) IMHO.

4. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Yes.

5. you stole my answer

6. Stole mine as well.

7. Jsegbers

Jsegbers

Aug 26, 2008
    Ive got 3 instances of proof. The shop I work at has 7 basses in, 3 of them I won't look at a second time.

all of them have bad fretboards, some sharp frets, poor wood quality, and just bad feel.

but those are the ones for 189, the others are never bad.

8. i got one rbx 170 their cheapest i belive, and sounds fine and quality fine, almost 7 years old i guess, and still in shape, well thats maybe because i dont play it anymore XD

9. p4toda

p4toda

Aug 10, 2008
    At the middle
    yup almost all of the gigmaker eb package basses i saw were bad. but the rest are fine.

10. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    I tried out a 2nd or 3rd generation TRB that seemed kind of cheesey and lifeless. I briefly owned a low-end BB that wasn't much to write home to mom about.

On the other hand, my buddy's got a low-end RBX that sings pretty nicely, could be a real contender with some better pots.

11. Jacko660

Jacko660

Sep 9, 2008
    Denmark
    I'm an owner of a old Yamaha bass aswell and has been for many many years. It still functions very well and sounds great. But of course I am to get another bass, but money is always a problem. atleast for some people :)

And yes I've seen a bad Yamaha bass and I heard it too. Terrible.

12. alexis=bassist

alexis=bassist

Sep 4, 2008
    Now I really never liked Yamaha basses,but every bass has sumthin special.In orchestra class,I would play my friends Yamaha starter bass and I really enjoyed playin on it.It wuz very cheap,but for me,it wuz pretty nice.I only own one Yamaha...tha RBX A2.I love that bass from tha minute I first played it!I actually got tha first prototype!But 6 months after I got it I changed tha strings and I notice that some frets were buzzing.I took it to my friend at tha music store and he said that tha neck developed a "hump" on it.Since it wasnt fixable,he sent it back to Yamaha 2 weeks ago and on thursday I went to check and see if tha new one wuz in yet,and it wuz!Problem wuz that tha new bass he recieved also had a neck problem!I am goin to check in a few days to see if my new new one will be here.But now I am scared that all of them will have a neck problem sooner or later.But besides that,Yamaha basses are pretty good in their own ways.

-peace=)

13. A friend's TRB-5f was the anti-mwah. Felt good, played nice, sounded awful. I've gotten more mwah from a near-dead cat.

14. EchoEcho

EchoEcho

Oct 14, 2007
    UK
    I play a Yamaha, and the fact that i have rarely read any bad reviews about them inspired me to buy one in the first place.
    The overall impression that i got before i bought mine was that they are good value for money, and are good quality for their price. That certainly applies to mine. There will be lemons across all brands, but Yamaha seemed to have far less than most.
    For a beginner bassist not wanting to spend a lot but wanting a bass that is likely to last and offers lots of features for the price, I would say that Yamaha seems to be up there with the best.

15. Joebone

Joebone Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Can't speak to the real cheap student axes or any of the RBX, but the BBG and BB4XX basses are great value for money, and the high-end BB basses are often special. I think Yamaha gets the nod for quality control over the years, and deserves more recognition for their contribution to our modern concept of bass tones. I've played BB2000s and BB3000's with original and with Bartolini pickups, and while I don't dislike the Bartolinis, the original Yammie P-J hookup provides a tremendous range and is capable of a sound that has warmth, impact and cut - a tough trio to coordinate!

16. Well I think a company that makes motorcycles can't really make good guitars.

IMO.

17. djwackfriz

djwackfriz

Jul 31, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    I had a BB series 5-string that just stunk. Nothing in particular, it just had no "zazz", felt mass-produced, and the pickups had no personality, real flat sounding. As far as their actives, I can't comment but I imagine they are better.

18. manutabora

manutabora

Aug 14, 2007
    Iowa City, IA
    Every brand will have good ones as well as lemons, except of course for US Masters :ninja:
    And yes, I have seen bad Yamaha basses. But then there's the Nathan East model, and the John Pattitucci model...

19. Earwigger

Earwigger I'm a Roland man now.

Aug 23, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    My friend has a RB170, the entry bottom level P. It's fantastic, the neck is ridiculously stable, the strings dance under my fingers and it sounds great to boot, even with the stock pickup.

I've never seen a bad Yamaha. I don't like the dual humbucker models, but the rest of the line is pretty nice.

20. EchoEcho

EchoEcho

Oct 14, 2007
    UK
    Thats the problem. Whilst their quality control is excellent, if you want to spend that little bit more on something with character and personality, i wouldn't recommend a Yamaha. Something like Warwick or Lakland suit that niche of the market much better. They are great for beginners to intermediate, but i don't think they are for the 'professional' market as much as others.

I suppose you could say they were quite robotic, in a way. Good quality and good value for money, but lacking personality and character compared to some others.