1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Have You Had Experience With These 5 Cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ryevick, May 19, 2011.

1. ryevick

ryevick

Dec 19, 2009
    Does anyone have experience with these cabs? I suppose it will be hard to find someone that is familiar with all of them but I'm wanting to find out a few different things about them.

I know the Ampeg is going to have move the furniture around type bass but do any of the others compare to the low end of the Ampeg?

I also know Hartke is going to really give nice clarity and pop but do any of the others compare to the clear mids, highs and punch of the Hartke?

1) Ampeg SVT-410HLF
    2) Avatar B410 Neo
    3) Carvin BRX10.4Neo
    4) Gallien-Krueger 410 Neo
    5) Hartke HyDrive HX410

As you've probably guessed I'm wanting both the seismic lows and sweet clarity in one cab. I haven't had a chance to plug in to them yet but will soon. :bassist:

2. Marton

Marton

Sep 20, 2005
    Quebec
    Seismic lows and clarity would be how I describe the sound of my Epifani UL410. You could probably find one used for about the price of these new.

3. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I have played the Ampeg and own the Avatar. Both are good cabs, but I own the Avatar for a reason ;). Hard to really give you any more input since I don't know you / your situation / your other gear and tonal goals. Seismis lows w/ sweet clarity doesn't really tell me much.

4. ryevick

ryevick

Dec 19, 2009
    I'll be sure to check it out if I can find one. I do like the weight on that one also.

5. ryevick

ryevick

Dec 19, 2009
    you can answer one of them lol... does the low end of the avatar match the ampeg? i don't mean is it muddy lol... will it make your silverware in the kitchen vibrate as fast as the ampeg? :D

6. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Very easily. But I don't really go for what I'd call "seismic" lows so much. I typically leave the bass's EQ pretty flat, and on my pres I don't nudge the bass knob up at all. I play mostly half-step down on a 5er, if that helps. Pretty serious low end being thrown out for sure and I don't feel like it's suffering or even really breaking a sweat while doing so.

7. I'm sure they are all good cabs,I own the brx 410 and dig it ! I am driving it with a 800rb and a carvin b2000 with a roots rock\country band and a heavy hitting drimmer,gig it 1-2 times a week. it is a little heavy for a neo cab (which I like) but not too heavy,I bought the casters so it is easy to move around. those gk neos are very light but I dont trust bass cabs that are to light. I'd look at carvin or avatar of the ones you mentioned,but what do i know!

8. ryevick

ryevick

Dec 19, 2009
    Yeah I have been looking pretty hard at the Avatar but it's unfortunate I can't go to a shop and plug into one... same as the Carvin... direct order... ugh... :meh: BTW the Avatar is only 65lbs... that's lighter than most I've seen.

9. ryevick

ryevick

Dec 19, 2009
    I don't plan on playing in the "seismic zone" very often myself but I would like to know I can when I want to. How do you like the tweeter/horn on the Avatar? I would like to know it also can give me more than I'd ever need lol :D ... I don't like playing at a level to where I'm pushing an instrument/amp/cab, I'd rather stay in the pocket and let it be able to breath a little if you know what I mean.

10. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    IMO if you want seismic lows and clarity, the Avatar to get ids the TB153

11. YEP!

12. ryevick

ryevick

Dec 19, 2009
    I am looking at that one pretty hard also... again, just wish I could plug into it without having to order it.

13. I've been using the BRX10.4 with a BX500 for the last 2 1/2 yrs. The cab has deep thundering lows, tight punchy lower mids and popping highs. Excellent all around cab.

14. ryevick

ryevick

Dec 19, 2009
    When did you get yours? Didn't they do like Ampeg and start having their stuff made in China?

15. J-O

J-O

Jun 27, 2010
    I own the ampeg 4x10 hlf. It's definitely a darker sounding cab, but it throws out massive, thick low end. It's not muddy, but it's not the cab to get if you are going for a bright, high-fi type sound. I'm very happy with mine overall. It's well made, too.

16. ryevick

ryevick

Dec 19, 2009
    That is a fair description I would think from everything I've read on it... I still haven't plugged one in yet though.

I think it may come down to the Carvin, GK or Avatar... and seeing as I can't test the Carvin or the Avatar that puts GK in a good spot if it sounds like I hope it will when I test it.

17. BassBob1

BassBob1

Dec 21, 2010
    you should plug into the ampeg. it can get very low and remain clear. I own one. I don't go for what i would consider seismic lows. I run mine with a svt 7 pro and run the bass either flat or cut depending on the situation. I dont find mine too dark sounding. It is pretty easy to eq any kind of sound in. If you want a hifi sound you can dial that in too, it does have a good tweeter.

The only other cabs you listed that I have tried are the GK and the hartke. I think the GK sounds just fine but ime it does not handle/produce the lowend that the HLF does. As far as the hydrive cab goes, I really did not care for it... just wasnt my thing.

18. ryevick

ryevick

Dec 19, 2009
    I will plug into the ampeg for sure... does the tweeter have a volume control? I doubt anything will hit the lows with as much force as the ampeg... from everything i've read i think my happy place will be somewhere between the ampeg and the hartke but i may be way off... just gotta wait and plug in :bassist:

19. JakoCLE

JakoCLE

Oct 23, 2010
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I've been frustrated with the sound and projection of my Carvin BR15 120w/15", even at rehearsal volumes, so I bought and just received today my Avatar B410 Neo cab. I'm running a new Genz Benz Shuttle 6 through it and WOW. This thing pumps. I have the GB set completely flat and have no need or desire to cut or boost any bands. It makes the bass sound like I want it to sound. The Avatar reproduces the sound perfectly, has solid construction, and Dave at the company has top-notch customer service skills.

20. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    I just recently traded my GK 410 neo for a GK 212 neo ( wanted a different sounding cab), The GK is IMHO the most underrated cabs here on TB. They are a great sounding cab and very portable. Add the bonus of costing about 1/2 the price of some of the "big boys" and you really can't lose. I have used an Avatar (non neo) B410 and its a good cab as well. But for just a few bucks more the GK wins (in my book). I've played through the others (back line) and really didn't care for them all that much. Except for the Ampeg 410HLF. It's a good cab also, but it's way too heavy for me to schlep around.