Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Head Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TsunamiBomb, Mar 30, 2005.

1. Hello! My band is going to start playing some local shows so I was going to buy 4x10's for an amp but a friend of mine sold me his ampeg 8x10 cabinet for really cheap. I was wondering if there was any good heads that could power this thing for about $400-$500 tops. I'm totally broke at the moment and on a budget so any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Check out the Kustom bass head 1200 watts I think around $600

3. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    I'm sure there will be plenty of suggestions, but my vote would be for a Hartke 3500 or 5500. They're really loud for their rated output, and pretty versatile as well. What's even better is that the 3500 would be well under your budget (new or used, but I'd buy used), and it should last you for years. I used a 3500 with an Ampeg 8x10 for a while, if that matters.

Nice name, btw. :)

4. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    I second the Kustom Head. Amazing product

5. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    More like $450-500 I think...

6. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    600 on online dealers, but you can get it for about 500 on ebay if you're lucky

7. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    http://www.music123.com/Kustom-Groove-1200-Head-i159070.music
    $535 for "B" stock? Oh just found it:
    Noticeable scratches, dents and/ or nicks. Typically a customer return or refurbished product. GUARANTEED TO PLAY PERFECTLY. Includes FULL MANUFACTURER WARRANTY* and Music123's 45 day 100% satisfaction guarantee. Our loss is your opportunity to SAVE MONEY!
    Sounds like a deal if you need a head and don't have a ton of cash :bassist: . I could swear I saw one for less though... Maybe you could bargain with the dealer. Keep in mind though: You can find some awesome used gear for cheap as well. BTW, where do you live?

8. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    I've seen them on the Bay for $499...new in box with warranty. It's an amazing head!!! meas look, feel, tone, without the Mesa price (or aura, but that'll come) Our own Quadzilla hipped me to this. I finally found a dealer here in Des Moines and checked it out. Amazing head...now on my GAS list!!!

9. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    He convinced me to buy it, havent regretted it yet

10. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Another GB1200 success story!

Quad doesn't slap, or play the music I play (gospel, jazz, funk), but he assured me that this head would be great. He wasn't kidding!~I had a couple people come over while I was taking it thru it's paces @ the store. Lots of ppositive comments on this thing!!!! I think that the lack of name recognition causes most people not to look @ it...but that never stopped Avatar!!! (also on my GAS list....new rig in June!!!! :hyper: :hyper: )

11. So the Kustom Grove GB1200 or the Hartke 3500 is the way to go. Rad! Thanks for all the input.

I live in Los Angeles btw.