Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Headless six?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lo end PUNCH, Mar 9, 2005.

1. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    Who makes 'em? I've checked out Sei but they're a little pricey, as is Status Graphite. Theres got to be a luthier around that doesn't require you set up a mortgage to buy a headless six, hey, I KNOW they're a pain in the a** to build but I really got major G.A.S for one and Steinberger hasn't even publicised their prototype yet, even though I hear they DO have one. :meh:

2. I've seen some fairly odd things by him- pretty much whatever you'll pay for. I don't think being headless should affect the price too much except for the fact that headless tuners are expensive(I just looked).

3. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Doesn't Brubaker make a headless 6?

Correction: That's Bunker Guitars

[​IMG]

4. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I do remember hearing that David King Basses has a 6'er, headless. Larry Mollerup has made a headless 6'er, too....

JP has done a headless 7. Carruthers made a headless 8 a while ago. Schack built a headless 10'er a while back for their 10 anni.... Jonas Hellborg had that one for a while.

5. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    I'm having one quoted by Joe Zon... he says he's done one before. He's now waiting on whether or not the bridge/tuners guy can do a 19mm spacing.

-AB

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    LeFay and Bob Frenz also make headless sixers, but they might be out of your price range...

7. SharkB8

SharkB8

May 29, 2002
    NorCal
    Marchlewski has made several headless basses. Six should be no prob (unless the hardware/bridge can't be sourced)...

www.marchlewskiguitars.com

8. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Almost forgot, Leduc Maurad.

9. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    Man that Bunker is tight!, I might look into those and a big thanks to all for their input. My price range right now would be around $1500.00 so anything you know of in that range?? Im a fan of wide spacing also and I have looked into headless part makers for them but to my knowledge no one does it but Ned and thats only for fivers.

10. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    I know that you said that the Status was out of your price range but you might want to save up. I just bought a headless 5 string Stealth off their website and it is the hottest thing since sliced bread. It just about plays itself and has tone for months. I would highly recommend reconsidering them if you are set on a headless 6

11. There was a used Bunker for sale somewhere- Planetbass or Gguitars or somewhere- the spacing was listed at 5/8" or so. Tight, in my book. Pretty bass, though.

12. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    Bunker spacing is .670" (17mm). That is tight.

13. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    status is offering customized string spacing now. so yeah i might give 'em an e-mail. What about DP Customs?

14. I heard DP quality control was iffy...I would go with the marchlewski...someone on here had a reallly wicked looking black headless sixer

15. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    I've a headless Marchlewski (the 5 string with paduak top) and I can't say enough good things about it.

16. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Wait, wait, wait....

...a headless Zon 6 w/ 19mm spacing???

a conventional Zon 6 w/ 19mm spacing??

would it have a composite neck? (Joe's doing wood now)

17. Akito

Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Spokane
    Jake made my headless 4. I don't think he has made a headles six. You might have been thinking of mine.
    [​IMG]

18. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    For $1500, you are almost certainly looking at used instruments. David King makes amazing basses, but you may have a hard time finding one. Keep an eye on eBay and pounce on the next headless 6 that comes up.

19. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    J-raj,

I haven't made a headless bass yet. David King knows a lot about them, and JP is doing some now too. Those guys (and Status) are the experts in headless, as far as I can tell. There's a rumour that Hipshot is working on some new bridge/tuner hardware, and that will make headless an option for more builders.

Best,
    Laurence Mollerup

20. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

A headless six would be a cool bass, but I'd sure hate to have to figure out how I would get strings for it. It's a big enough pain just getting 'em for my 'berger XL-2. :eek: