1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Headphone amp or....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by embellisher, Jan 12, 2021.

1. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

So, I don't really know where to put this, but I'm looking for something to play my bass through while traveling.

I have a Bass Rockman, but it's almost 35 years old and starting to fail.

A couple of things I saw in the past were the Bass Pod Pro and the Tascam Bass Trainer. These are apparently no longer made, I know they're old tech.

I would like something small and portable, that has an aux input and a headphone jack.

Effects are a plus, as well as the ability to be used as a preamp or DI in a pinch.

Something like Fly Rig or a Geddy/ Dug Fly Rig, but with headphone and aux capabilities as well.

Does such a thing exist?

Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
  2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

3. embellisher

4. el jeffe bass

el jeffe bass

Nov 22, 2013
    New Mexico
    Ampeg SCR-DI but it doesn’t have effects. To solve the effects problem you could also get a Zoom MS60B.

bassgrackle likes this.
  5. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

It's older brother the B3 has DI and sound interface but it doesn't have aux in. It's also way bigger and doesn't run long on batteries.
    Then there's the Palmer Pocket Bass Amp or the EBS but they only have drive and EQ, no effet.
    No free meal.

bassically_eli likes this.
  6. SgtHulka

SgtHulka

Mar 29, 2019
    "Effects are a plus, as well as the ability to be used as a preamp or DI in a pinch."

GK Plex? Has compressor, and sans amp style drive which you can get a hell of a lot of sounds out of. Only thing it doesn't have is extra effects...though you could aux in something. For practice on the go I use a Korg Pandora. I picked up a used one for $60. Drum machine, lots of effects, aux in, headphones, phase trainer, amp sims, etc...just no DI or useable preamp for performing live.

I don't have a Plex but I plan on getting one.

ObsessiveArcher and embellisher like this.
  7. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

Nothing ever really replaced Korg Pandora series. Nowadays they sound outdated but the concept was great.

8. DaDo625

DaDo625 Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Phil Jones Bass Buddy...
    BASS BUDDY – Phil Jones Bass

bass-buddy-frontback.jpg
    Headphones, EQ, Compressor, DI, supports a 10W speaker, Aux in, 9V option (headphone only)... I picked mine up from a fellow TB member.
    Not a Low-Low-Let-Go solution cost wise - but I have been shocked...shocked I say...at how great this is.
    Everyday practice when volume is an issue (often these days) and when learning songs.

And good luck with your quest...

9. embellisher

I see several versions of the bass Pandora on Ebay. Which one should I look for?

10. DaDo625

DaDo625 Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2017
  11. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    South Shore MA
    Another angle: Do you travel with your computer or iPad? You could get an interface to run your bass into that.

12. embellisher

That's something else I was considering. I have a windows 10 laptop and an Android phone. I also have Android tablet but it is about 5 years old.

13. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Usually my gigs leave me travelling quite a bit on weekeds. I use a Nady amplug, which I learn most of my songs through, and I take it in hotels for learning or practicing. Its rechargable, takes up no space, and has the aux in and I just use my phone.

14. bassface69

bassface69

Jan 12, 2020
    Canada
    7461CD58-0B1F-41D0-BA11-5548B9D46A4C.jpeg
    Does everything you want ... plus it’s a killer digital audio interface! :)

TDSmith, NEBADON2000, Blenin and 5 others like this.
  15. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Those Boss GT1B effects have a headphone driver too.

16. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    South Shore MA
    Criswell60 and staurosjohn like this.
  17. oldskoolskatedad

oldskoolskatedad

May 18, 2014
    You may consider any of the Darkglass Ultra pedals though they are a bit pricey and are overkill for a headphone amp with aux in. The recently released ADAM pedal is very intriguing
    ADAM-Angle.png

ADAM – Darkglass Electronics

18. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    Helix Stomp is probably your best option.

Greg75 likes this.
  19. Greg75

Greg75 Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Absolutely +1. Bought a Stomp for the same reason. Now using it for that and just about everything else.

fast slapper likes this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 25, 2021