1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Headphones for practice?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by steamthief, Apr 1, 2006.

1. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    First off, my apologies if this is in the wrong thread. Can anyone recommend a good set of headphones for practice? Low end clarity is a must, and I'm willing to spend up to $100. Fire away!

2. Sony MDR7506. They are great headphones for bass and can be found for around $100. Very comfy closed ear design, so there's not much noise leakage that will bother others around you. I prefer these over the Grado SR-80s, which I also have, as they seem to handle the lower bass frequencies better.

3. TL5

TL5

Jun 27, 2005
    Nashville
    I prefer the Ultasone 550's but they are not in your price range.

At $100 my second choice would also be the Sony 7506.

4. bassjamn

bassjamn Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    +1 best ones ive used

5. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    I have the Sony MDR-XD300 Set which was purchsed with plugging into bass amp being one of the last thoughts on my mind, but they work really well.

Basically what you are wanting to get is a decent sized driver that can handle from about 30Hz upwards to do the trick. On the driver size front, look for a minimum of 40mm in size (they print all the details on the packaging)

6. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    Thanks for the input, people!

7. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    You might want to try a pair of Fostex T-20s. Heavy, but bulletproof. I've had the same pair for about 15 years, and were bought specifically for bass practice. They were the only ones I tried in the shop that didn't fart out.

8. westland

westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    AKG K27i ... compact and better than the Sony's. You don't hear of them because they spend their money on better technology, not marketing.

9. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I'm liking the Sennheiser HD280 Pro's.

10. Plus two for the Senheizer HD250 pros $99.

11. v-12

v-12

Mar 3, 2005
    FL Panhandle
    +1 on the akg's!

12. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I personaly don't like Sony 7506s at all. I find them to have a peaky mid response and are not comfortable for long wear.

Anything from sennheiser will smoke them. For practice I prefer an open back can (so you can hear some ambient sound), and if you can stretch up to $150, the sennheiser 555s are simply fantastic.

13. I have a set of AKG K240 headphones that I've been using for about 20 years. They are still in good shape and sound great. They are very comfortable to wear for hours and I mean that both physically and aurally.

Paul Mac

14. Yes, they're better if you like unnaturally boosted bass and muted highs. You likely don't hear of them because they're just not very good headphones.

15. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    If you can push it to $150, I really like the Bose Triports. Very smooth and great sounding! :bassist:

16. Based on this and other threads I went out and got a pair of Sony 7506s.

To set the scene, I am a bit of an audiophile and have some reasonably good gear in terms of CD, amp and speakers and so I'm used to a very transparent system and I feel I have an OK ear for artificially boosted ranges.

In short, I love them - very natural sounding and awesome depth right down to the lowest sounds. I had been struggling to hear some of the bass lines on recordings and I can now clearly pick them out -it's amazing what an extra low freq extension will do.

I A/Bed them with my audio setup, going straight into the CD, straight into the amp, and through the speakers and found the sound to be very, very similar with even better bottom end than the speakers (which I expected).

Thanks to all who recommended! Great find.