Heads That Are <20 lbs And Do 2 ohms (for rock)?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Oct 5, 2005.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Ok folks,

Name the heads out there that:

- Are less than 20 lbs
    - Go down to 2 ohms
    - Wattage at 400 watts plus
    - Are good for rock

In what little digging I've done, I have only found 1 thus far that meets ALL of the requirements above...the Nemesis NA650 (due out later this month). I'm sure there are others out there (again that meet ALL of the above, don't bother listing others that don't). Thanks!
  2. Whats wrong with the Aggie?

A couple Eden heads are two ohm stable and meet the power requirements, but Ive never had a chance to play one out or in a band setting to see if it would work for rock, though I suspect it would.
  3. EBS650 sounds great running at 2ohms.... it is three rack spaces, but is lightweight, and has a very good tube overdrive section for grindy rock tones. They are expensive, but come up used now and then. They seem underpowered to me at 4ohms, but if you are regularly running at 2ohms, that head is ideal.
  4. Quadzilla

I love the Aggie, but it on;y goes down to 4 ohms and I have a 4 ohm Aggie 2x12 cab and a 8 ohm Aggie 1x12 cab which = 2.67 (?) ohms I believe which means I cannot uses both cabs at the same time with my Aggie AG500SC head. Either I get a new head or new cabs eventually...
  5. forget the weight requirement and get a sunn1200s
    it seems to me that this amp is a "better sounding" kustom 1200
    seems to have the same features and it has the same wattage down to 2ohms.
    im going to get yelled at cause it aint light

6. Quadzilla

I'm not going to yell at ya :D but I got rid of the Kustom because it was +30 lbs and racked with tuner and power conditioner brought the total rack weight close to 60 lbs which was not good for my bad back (my back even hurts right now at the very moment). I LOVE the portability and tone of the Aggie 500. It's shown me that you don't need heavy for great tone and power. Just wish it did 2 ohms...
  7. Quadzilla

Just thought of another head which I believe meets the requirements. The Yamaha ??500. I believe it's lke 10ish lbs and 500 watts at 2 ohms but I also hear that it's not an especially loud 500 watts...
  8. telekaster

Feb 14, 2005
    San Diego
    I'd go for an Eden WT550! I use a WT400 that's good for 400 watts at 4 ohms, but the WT550 puts out 750 watts at 2 ohms. If I needed to be 2-ohm stable, then I'd upgrade to the 550 myself. I think my 400 rocks for rock. It's voice cuts through well in a rock band.

9. +1 I forgot that the 550 runs safely at 2ohms. Great head\, small, light and relatively low cost... probably among the best 'bang for the buck' out there.
  10. isn't running an 8ohm cab + 4ohm cab in parallel running at 6 ohm? just as an 8ohm+8ohm equals 4ohm, so they should work together.
  11. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Nope, doesn't work that way.

Rt = 1 / ((1 / R1) + (1 / R2) + (1 / R3) + .... + (1 / Rn)).

When you happen to use two cabs of the same resistance it halves the overall resistance for the system, but that is a coincidence of the above equation and not the "rule".
  12. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Why not the iAMP 500 or 800? They meet all the requirements.
  13. seanm

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    That rule only works when all the cabs are the same: Rt = R / n

Kael has the correct formula that works for all cases. When you put two or more cabs in parallel the results will *always* be lower than the lowest cab.
  14. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1 The iAMP 800 is 19 lbs, puts out 1,000w at 2 ohm, and rocks like a mofo.

15. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

my two votes...

and the EA is like tonal velcro, so stick a Sansamp BDI or whatever else that does the overdriven thing, and LOOK OUT.
  16. ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    I don't know how good this is for your cabs, becuase you will get 2/3 of the current going to the 4 ohm cab. So you might have one cab overpowering the other. i understand that there are other variables such as sensitivities of the cabs and ports etc, but just make sure that you can run those two cabs together without blowing one of them.
  17. seanm

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Since you like the tone of the Aggie 500, I would sell the 4 ohm Aggie 2x12 cab and get an 8 ohm version. Solves the problem and probably cheaper than buying a new head.
  18. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Actually that kind of setup works really well. His 212 (4ohm) will draw twice the power as the 112 (8ohm) but it is also rated at twice the power.

I solved that issue with a couple of my cabs by getting a stereo power amp but a 2ohm stable mono amp would be just the ticket.

If you have the cash.

Edit: And even though the 212 is 1db louder the 3 speakers between the 2 cabs will have very close to equal volume. It's all good.
  19. ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    That's good to know man, since sometimes we can be stuck with certain cabs until money allows for replacement.

After i finish paying off my GK, i'm also gonna start looking for a poweramp, prefereably a stable monoblock just like you suggested... Mmmmmm... raw unadulterated power :rolleyes:
  20. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    EA iAmp 500 would be my recommendation; or the iAmp 800 if you have the dinero.