1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Heaviest gauge (Nickel/plated) round wound 4 string set available

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by madjazzbass, Oct 10, 2017.

1. madjazzbass

madjazzbass

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    Who (what brand) makes the heaviest gauge 4 string (nickel plated) available? I'm looking to tune down one of my Basses to B E A D and I really don't want to buy a 5 string set (I used to do that back in the day when I played Metal); I just want to find the heaviest gauge 4 string set available; and Yes, I already have a 5 string, I'm just more comfortable playing a 4 right now and I don't wanna keep re-tuning any one Bass. I'm thinking a set with a 110 E string would be great.

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Tuning a bass to BEAD doesn't require the heaviest strings available, unless you're talking about an octave below what people generally mean when they say BEAD. A 110 is far from the heaviest available regardless. It's significantly lighter than what's commonly used for a low B.

3. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Digital Brand Development and Product Development at GHS Strings
    There are a couple of BEAD tuned 4-string sets that you can buy, which will do a lot better job than a set with a .110 E string, unless you like the tonality/feel of a set detuned that much (I know a couple of our artists do).

madjazzbass likes this.
  4. Systolic

Systolic Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Madison,Wisconsin
    ...or just buy Daddario singles from BSO. I'd personally run: .145t, .110, 85, .60

madjazzbass likes this.
  5. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    Kalium Strings .266 .200 .150 .110 Hybrid Bass String Sets
    But that won't tune to standard BEAD, only octave-down BEAD.

6. madjazzbass

madjazzbass

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    Thank you Sir, this is exactly what I was talking about, Thanks a lot, much appreciated.

trothwell and michael_t like this.
  7. GK Growl

GK Growl Banned

Dec 31, 2011
    Why don't you just buy a 5 string set? I understand not wanting to but you are severely limiting your choices of "off the shelf" availability of string sets.