1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Heavy Steels for 5 String?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Jimbob Jones, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Hi Guys.

I did a search but didn't yield any useful results.

I would like more tension on my low B (I know this is covered to death, but hear me out :p)

At the moment, I'm using rotosound 66's on my 5 string, and I love the tone, but the B is "only" a .125. I find I need more tension. And I think the easiest and cheapest way to achieve that would be to find a heavier guage.

So after trawling the internet for too many hours, and only being able to find a .130 at maximum in steel, I've come to you guys for the answer; what I need is a heavy gauge stainless steel 5 strings set, (preferably with a .135-150 B string) if such a thing exsists.

I don't mind if the other strings are heavier aswell, as long as they're stainless steel. :D

Thanks guys. :)

2. Bass Below

Bass Below

Oct 24, 2006
    New York
    D'Addario makes a .145, you can buy singles and make your own set. Fodera also does custom sets at not so custom prices. I've gotten a nice .145 from Fodera.

3. Thanks for the reply, but that brings up another question: could I combine this string (second from bottom) with an ordinary prosteels set?

Thanks for the help

JBJ

4. Frag

Frag

Mar 4, 2008
    West Wales
    I use Ernie ball super slinkys and have no problems whatsoever.

5. Bass Below

Bass Below

Oct 24, 2006
    New York
    Sure. You could even combine it with the 4 string version of your Rotosound set.

6. that's awesome.

thanks for the help guys.

I actually have a set of super slinkys as my back up set, I have tried them before, but I find I prefer the tone of the Roto's.

7. Bass Below

Bass Below

Oct 24, 2006
    New York
    No prob. My heaviest string is not made by the same manufacturer as my other 4. Mix n match is perfectly fine, as long as it makes sense to your ear