1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hello TB :)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by brandonm32, Mar 24, 2009.

1. brandonm32

brandonm32

Mar 24, 2009
    So far this looks like a great well of information and I'm barely scraping the surface.

I'm here because after 12 years of playing guitar and unsuccessful attempts at recruiting a bass player, I decided to take it on myself. I borrowed a buddy's starter bass, Yamaha RBX170, and started learning common bass patterns and technique. I've been having a blast so far! I have been writing bass lines for our originals (which I wrote on guitar, so that helps I think) and I've been learning different songs here and there to sample different styles and whatnot.

As I continue to sift through the boards here, if anyone would like to give me some quick tips as far as gear, that would be great. I'm completely green there and I'm looking to buy my own bass and amp soon. I have a Lakewood acoustic guitar and a Fender Strat (US), so I'd like to get a bass that's mid-tier at least. I'll be selling my strat most likely, and I'd like to be able to buy a good used bass and amp with a budget of $750-1000. Our style is best summed up as 3-piece blues-rock.

Thanks in advance for any quick tips and also thanks for a great resource!

2. There's different forums here for asking about basses, amps/cabs, effects, and so on.

3. You probably can't go wrong with an old-school Fender Precision Bass for what you're looking to do.

4. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    Welcome to TB! :)

For blues and rock, you can't go wrong with a good, trusty precision or jazz bass. Squier VM and CV, used Fenders, etc. would be right in your range, and if you can find a used Carvin or Peavey amp (both are great, solid amp manufacturers, but neither have good resale value, so use that to your advantage) you'll have a good, solid setup for not too much scratch.

5. brandonm32

brandonm32

Mar 24, 2009
    Thanks for the help. I've been reading through the newbie sticky, but I honestly needed a starting point because I am just that green.

Here's a question: Should I even consider a 5 string? I have a solid understanding of chord theory and scales from guitar, but I'm not sure if my plucking hand is ready for that extra string. My initial thought was that I'll get all the mileage I need out of a 4 string for now, but I just thought I'd throw that out there.

6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    if there's a use for it in what you are doing, go for the 5 if you want to. as a guitarist you already have some skill and experience controlling your strings. i really don't think you'll have that much more of a problem playing a 5 than you would on a 4.

remember, too, there's folks that tune 5's e-a-d-g-c (or high b, if you prefer). increased variety of stringings/tunings is another standout feature with extended range bass (how folks usually refer to greater-than-4-string basses).

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    by the way, what kind of music do you do?

8. brandonm32

brandonm32

Mar 24, 2009
    I'd classify it as "Blues-rock" I think. We do very few covers, so its hard for me to put a finger on, but that's the sound we're aiming for. Basically bass, lead guitar, drums, and a female vocalist. I used to play rhythm guitar, but decided to take the bass by the horns, so to speak.

9. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    I've got fives and fours. I use the fives when the music is in D or C a lot of the time. If you're in a guitar band, it's not necessary. Sometimes I still grab the five because I like it. Other times I grab my four string P-Bass. I'm comfortable with both. The four string gets the nod because it has a sort of attitude.

I agree that you can't go wrong with a P or a J. For what you're doing I think one or the other would suit you very well.

Getting a bass and an amp for $750 will require shopping and patience. My favorite combo amp is for sale here: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=491535

I have no commercial interest. I play drums with a guy who has one and it's the best bang for the buck you're going to find, IMO. You'd have enough money left from your $750 to find a reasonable bass. I really love that amp, but I already have a lot of amplification, so I keep hoping some happy TBer will pick it up.

KO

10. bassman1987

bassman1987

Dec 1, 2008
    Denver, CO
    +1, I have a Squier Vintage Modified Precision, which I absolutely love! They go for around $250 new. As far as amps go, check out Hartke and Gallien-Krueger. I have a Hartke 2500 head, solid power and it has a 9 band graphic EQ, got it new for $250, and G-K's Backline series of cabinets are good all around performers.

It's awesome that you're learning bass! Whatever gear you end up with, have fun with it! :)