1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hello There

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by Freelancer, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Freelancer

Freelancer

Apr 6, 2009
    Tucson, AZ.
    Hello to everyone here at TalkBass,
    after a bit of poking around and about on the internet looking for bass reviews I found this wonderful sight and started to get a bit curious. Long story short, I found this place a great refreshing breeze compared to many other forums and communities in the past and after about a week of browsing around looking about, finally decided to join.
    I have been mostly an owner and not so much a player in the last 10 years and now with the ample amount of free time, I have decided to rejoin the fold and get back into bass playing again. It's kinda hard getting back into it again and feeling just a quarter step above "incompetent" in the skills category. But hopefully time and some good ol' fashioned practice will put me back to even better than I was before my long hiatus. (which to say wasn't all too well then either.)

Sorry for the wall of text and all. Can get a bit long winded at times. Even though it's kinda automated when registering, thanks for having me along anyways. :)

Rock on,
    -Chris :bassist:

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

Welcome to Talkbass!:cool:

If you are just starting to play again, check out the Technique and General Instruction forums. Lots of good info in those forums.

And to brush up on your theory, be sure and check out the Theory forum down in the DB section.

3. Freelancer

Freelancer

Apr 6, 2009
    Tucson, AZ.
    Thank you very much for the warm welcome. :)

I have been browsing the tech and general instruction forums and also been using a lot of the interactive instructive materials at activebass as well in order to bring myself back to par. Oh boy does my playing offend right now. :scowl: Since it is a hotel and all I have my little Practice amp and headphones to keep the unrelenting masses around me happy. Also helps to really focus strictly on my tone and control much easier without worrying about outside distractions that can sometimes accompany a busy metropolitan hub in a building whose windows offer barely more barrier to sound and the elements than a screen. 5 star hotel my arse. The darned rat dog across the way is tempting me to partake in keggogi again to keep my sanity up... oh bother I'm rambling on again. Please forgive me. Anyhow, diligence and proper practice techniques should see me through to my next milestone of actually sustaining a proper 12 bar blues again, along with being able to recognize notes on the bass clef again. I'll work it from there. Like they say in A.A. One day and step at a time.

Rock on! :bassist:
    -Chris

4. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Welcome to TB.

Check out the link in my sig. that may help you along on your learning quest!

5. Freelancer

Freelancer

Apr 6, 2009
    Tucson, AZ.
    Thanks Stumbo.

Awesome link. That's a very nice compilation of links for tips and general information. It will be very helpful for positive development further into my practice and overall training.

-Chris

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

Maybe somebody needs to design a 12 step program for learning 12 bar blues.:D

7. Freelancer

Freelancer

Apr 6, 2009
    Tucson, AZ.
    Well after a bit of time I've pretty much gotten it down. I'm just working on proper control and technique now. Biggest issue of course is maintaining proper fretting hand finger pressure uniformly across the frets in order to prevent buzzing here and there. Also the way I hit the frets seems to be a bit different than what I see from a lot of other players out there. I was taught to keep my fingers pretty high off the fret when not hitting a note and to pick up the finger when transitioning between frets instead of sliding. It really helps keep a good clean sound but also at the same time introduces a new challenge as well that I'm learning to circumvent. If you don't pull off exactly uniform and straight up when releasing, it'll rub the string a bit making noise. Oh well. Just gotta keep on my technique and all. I'm making positive progress with a much better form and grip than I used to use. Thanks for listening to my ramblings. :)

Rock on! :bassist:
    -Chris